Student died in accident

Sara Tennessen

Alison Ciancio and Nick Slater would have been together one year last weekend. But Ciancio, sophomore in animal science, was killed in an automobile accident during winter break and never came back to Iowa State.

Ciancio, 19, of Havertown, Penn., was injured in a two-vehicle, head-on collision at 2:18 a.m. Jan. 6 and later died of severe head injuries, according to the Delaware County Daily Times.

Ciancio’s recently purchased 2001 Jeep Cherokee had four passengers, all of whom suffered moderate, nonlife-threatening injuries, according to the article.

“She was being their designated driver and was hit,” said Howard Tyler, associate professor of animal science. Tyler is adviser for the ISU Dairy Science Club. Ciancio had just been elected as the group’s historian.

“She was really very popular, and this really kind of hit the department very hard,” he said.

Slater, sophomore in hotel, restaurant and institution management, said he first met Ciancio in classes their freshman year.

“We’d go out to parties, go out to eat. Usually we just stayed in and watched movies,” he said. “She was very energetic, always in a good mood, always had a great big smile. She loved animals.”

Katie Meyer, sophomore in dairy science, also recalled Ciancio’s optimism.

“She was very nice, very sweet. She would do anything for a friend,” Meyer said. “She was always there when you needed someone to talk to.”

Robin Steffen, sophomore in pre-advertising, became friends with Ciancio in the residence halls and through the Dairy Science Club.

“She was so excited [to be elected historian] because she likes to take pictures. She took pictures all the time. She liked to remember everything,” Steffen said. “She always found a way to brighten up your day and make you feel better.”

Ciancio was in the process of choosing between animal science and pre-veterinary medicine, Tyler said.

“She hadn’t quite decided what she wanted to do with her life,” he said.

She was active in community service, training guide dogs for the blind and delivering meals to the homeless, Tyler said, “just a really good kid.”

The Dairy Science Club and Ciancio’s family will be setting up a scholarship fund in her memory.

Those who knew Ciancio or are interested in supporting this scholarship can contact the Dairy Science Office at 123 Kildee Hall or call 294-6021.