Smoking shelters not seeing much support

Katie Sonderman

The smoking ban in the residence halls has sparked questions concerning where students who smoke can go to light up.

The Inter-Residence Hall Association and the residence halls were contemplating the idea of building smoking shelters around campus but found little support.

While some residence student associations may not want to spend their money to build smoking shelters, some architecture students are willing to step in and help out.

Randy Alexander, director of the residence halls, said the smoking ban will benefit the university community by reducing student annoyance from secondhand smoke, preserving furniture and drapes from the smell of smoke and providing health benefits.

“Over the past few years, increasing numbers of students are expressing concern about second-hand smoke smell in their community,” he said.

Alexander said he was looking into the smoking shelters, but has recently received a resolution stating that Union Drive Association does not want to spend departmental funds for smoking shelters.

Jeff Greiner, UDA president, said he has heard a lot of support for the ban and the department of residence has received it with open arms.

But he said UDA Senate did not feel that the money of all students should be used to pay for some students’ smoking habits.

“Students shouldn’t have to pay for them to smoke in comfort,” he said.

Greiner said while the student government does look at the arguments and opinions of the smokers, it is the student government’s duty to represent the majority of the UDA residents.

While the smoking shelters were under consideration, Bruce Bassler, associate professor of architecture, volunteered to allow the students in future studio classes to design and build the shelters.

His class, Architecture 404, is a six-credit comprehensive architectural design studio.

“The students design and construct their projects,” Bassler said.

“That allows more bang for your buck.”

Bassler said he feels the Department of Residence will be a good source of projects for the future.

Alexander also said he liked the idea of using Architecture 404 students for the project.

“It meets our needs at a lower cost and gives the students project opportunities that they need for class,” he said.

Alexander also said he is going to explore other possible projects for the class with the residence halls.