Option to pass out of English 104 beneficial, instructors say

Katie Sonderman

With 11 weeks of the semester already under their belts, English 104 students are anxiously awaiting the results of the second pass-out option.

Beginning this semester, students enrolled in English 104 were given the option of completing the class early, based on a portfolio reviewed by two professors, said Margaret Graham, director of first-year composition.

Students have two opportunities to pass out of the class, said Graham, professor of English.

The first portfolio was due after five weeks of coursework, and the second portfolio was due after 10 weeks, she said.

In order for students to pass out of the program, they need to receive a B or better on the portfolio, attend class regularly and complete daily work, Graham said.

After the first portfolio, about 140 students of the 728 students enrolled in the class passed out, she said.

“There is no question that some students don’t need to take English 104 the entire semester,” Graham said.

“This benefits those students, who can do other things with their time.”

Lauren Alleyne, teaching assistant for English 104, said she thinks the pilot program is beneficial to both the students and the instructors.

“[The program] leaves the instructor with the extra time and energy to focus on the students that need the extra attention, and it gives the students the motivation to work to their fullest capacity,” she said.

Alleyne, who has had 16 students pass out of her class, said the major problem she has seen is the lack of morale when the students have worked their hardest and have not been able to test out.

“They seem not to see it as an opportunity to grow, but as an effort that has been rewarded by failure,” she said.

Kristin Stoner, teaching assistant for English 104, said serious changes need to be made for the program to be successful.

“I think that one exit option would be enough,” Stoner said. “Students seem to shut down when they don’t exit, and they end up getting less out of the class, especially after the second exit.”

Graham said the continuity of the pilot program for next fall will depend on the assessments that are made this spring.

She said the department will survey teachers and students, assess the portfolio to check for consistency in standards and then make a decision about the future of the program.

“The goal is to eventually get smaller classes for students who remain to get more time with the instructors,” Graham said.

Hurt feelings are an issue that will need to be addressed during the assessment, she said.

“If we only have 15 kids, but they are angry, then it would be better to have 25 all semester,” Graham said.