Financial aid vote postponed

Rebecca Cooper

Government of the Student Body leaders will vote next week whether to ask ISU administrators to increase the proportion of need-based financial aid set aside by the university.

Voting on the resolution has been postponed until next week so GSB senators can get input from constituents.

Tony Luken, the resolution’s sponsor, said Iowa State needs to increase the portion designated to financial aid to 16 percent.

“Middle class students – those who this university was designed for – will be hit hardest by this,” said Luken, LAS. “We are way behind the other regent universities, and we need to be at least on par with them. This is one of the best ways we can help the students who really need it.”

Will Tinder, RCA, said the overall quality of education will be greatly affected if financial aid is not increased with the cost of education.

“A lot of this financial aid goes to students who are unlike any of those who come from Iowa, and that is an intangible part of education,” Tinder said. “Without this increase, one thing we are doing is hurting our own education and the education of our constituents.”

Not all the senators agreed with the resolution. Jon Weaver, off campus, said he would like to see other things done with the $1 million dollars that would go to financial aid.

“I’ll graduate with high debt, but that was the choice I made when I decided to come to Iowa State,” Weaver said.

“I think there are some other things that can be done with the 5 percent that will have a greater effect on the entire student population and the overall quality of education at Iowa State.”

GSB President Andy Tofilon said if it is not possible to make the increase in one year, they suggest phasing it in over the next two years.

“I’d like to see the university make the cuts that were on the table before the misappropriation was made,” he said.

Tofilon said President Gregory Geoffroy has a deep understanding of students’ needs and will reaffirm this if he approves the increase.

“This amount is not a substantial hit to the university,” Tofilon said. “Not doing it will result in a catastrophic hit to students that have small budgets.”