Residents to vote on Hallett’s Quarry

Anna Holland

Ames voters will determine the fate of a 460-acre area including Hallett’s Quarry north of Ames and a $7.5 million plan to transform the lake-laden land into a wetlands park proponents say will ensure water quality.

If 60 percent of voters approve, the city would borrow $4.97 million to purchase the land, Ames’ secondary drinking water source. The city has received a Vision Iowa grant of $1.5 million – contingent on the bond’s approval – as well as a pledge of $1.03 million from the Story County Conservation Board to help with the purchase.

According to the City of Ames Web site, the bond would raise property taxes $21 per $100,000 in property value every year for 12 years. Rental properties would increase $38 for every $100,000 in property value.

City Council member Ann Campbell, 3rd Ward, said only students who live off campus would see a slight rent increase.

“Anything that goes into property taxes is folded into rental cost in apartments,” she said. “Individuals will be affected, but it isn’t a dramatic effect.”

Erwin Klaas, co-chair for Friends of Hallett’s Quarry, a group of residents who support the project, said students shouldn’t worry about the increase.

“The alternatives aren’t very cheap or even very good,” said Klaas, retired professor emeritus of animal ecology. “The amount is very nominal. We’re hoping students can support it.”

The project, slated for completion in 2005, will secure the second primary source of drinking water for the city of Ames and create a new city park.

Klaas said the 1.2 billion gallons of water in the quarry can provide Ames with drinking water for six months.

The city pumps water from the quarry lakes into the Skunk River during droughts, he said. A dam near River Valley Park helps recharge the underwater aquifer that serves as the primary source of drinking water.

The city has done so three times since 1975 – in 1977, 1981 and 1988.

Klaas also said the city’s planned construction will restore wetlands, which will help filter pollutants from the water before it reaches the lakes.

The proposal also includes areas for non motorized boating, fishing and walkways.

Campbell said the timing of the vote is very important.

Every time the city wants to pump water from the lakes, she said, officials have to ask permission from the owners.

Hallett’s Material, Inc., which now owns most of the property, has given the city until Dec. 15 to purchase the quarry, according to the city Web site.

Also, on Jan. 31, 2002, a company from Ireland is slated to take over the company. It is not known whether the new owners will allow the city to pump water in the future.

“It’s a situation on which a lot of players are quite important,” Campbell said. “In 10 years, the money would not be there, and we may potentially not have friendly negotiations with the property owners.”

Both Campbell and Klaas said the finished area has great benefits for ISU students.

“If I were an Iowa State student and had the opportunity to get away, I’d jump at it,” Campbell said. “In terms of R and R locations, I can’t think of a better place to go.”

Klaas said many students “seem very positive” about the project, but in general, college students don’t participate in local elections.

“They don’t seem to attract many students,” he said. “Hopefully, we’ll see a good turnout.”