ISU gymnastics signs stellar class of recruits

Emily Arthur

In K.J. Kindler’s nine years with the ISU gymnastics program, she’s seen recruiting classes come and go. But the class she just signed might be her best one yet.

Four athletes have signed national letters of intent to compete at Iowa State for the 2003 season – a fact that excites the head coach.

“The senior class that we’re losing this year is probably one of the top classes, but the girls that will be coming in rival that,” Kindler said. “As far as the best class since I’ve been here, it’s probably a tie between those two.”

The four recruits include Krystal Carney, Erin Dethloff, Kacey Oiness and Laura Powell.

Carney hails from Aurora, Colo., and will compete primarily on the uneven bars and floor exercise for the Cyclones.

She is originally from Cedar Rapids and with sophomore Jill Ulrich being the only ISU gymnast from Iowa, Kindler sees Carney being a home-crowd favorite amongst ISU fans.

“She’ll bring a little bit of Iowa with her,” Kindler said. “She should have the home crowd on her side. She’ll be fun to watch.”

Dethloff comes to Iowa State from Millard South High School in Omaha, Neb., where she’s coached by Cathy Cahoy of Cahoy Gymnastics.

Cahoy’s coached Dethloff since she was 5-years-old and said that Iowa State will be getting a very special individual.

“She’s real enthusiastic and a great competitor,” she said. “She’ll be a great addition to the Iowa State program.”

The third recruit in the stellar class, Oiness, is someone Kindler describes as “really captivating.”

Kindler said the Henderson, Nev., native was one of the tougher recruits to get.

“Kacey was a tough sell for us. We haven’t gotten anyone from that part of the country before,” she said. “A lot of great schools wanted her.”

Powell rounds out the class. She’s from Orleans, Ontario, Canada, and Kindler said she’ll bring something to the Cyclones that they need.

“She’s a graceful gymnast with great technique,” she said. “She should be absolutely beautiful to watch. She’s going to be in the floor and [balance] beam lineup, and may be our best on the beam.”

Although the recent success of the gymnastics program at Iowa State had a lot to do with the recruits signing at the university, Kindler said the visits to the campus also helped.

“Once they got here, the school really sold itself,” she said. “It’s got a beautiful campus and great academic and athletic programs.”