Program prepares students for teaching positions

Luke Willamon

A new program for ISU graduate students who envision a professional life at the head of a classroom will begin this spring.

Preparing Future Faculty helps master’s and doctorate degree candidates prepare for college faculty careers. Donna Kienzler, who will head the program, said it will feature four semesters of seminars, mentoring and classroom and departmental service experiences.

“I want to get students in it, so students can see how wonderful it is,” said Kienzler, the newly appointed assistant dean of the graduate college. “It increases preparation and enhances career goals on students who are going into academia.”

With programs around the country, Preparing Future Faculty offers enhanced teaching opportunities and gives potential faculty an advantage when looking for a position, she said. Students who complete the program will receive credentials which will be valuable in the job market, Kienzler said.

“In short, [the program] can help you get a faculty position,” she said.

Barbara Ohlund, assistant professor of curriculum and instruction, said the program is very beneficial.

“It was an invaluable experience,” said Ohlund, who participated in the program at Arizona State University. “It provided me with a lot of opportunities with teaching and research. It taught me what it’s like to be a faculty member.”

John Mayfield, associate dean of the graduate college, said the program is a win-win situation for students and Iowa State.

“It will help some students get better jobs, and it will help in recruiting better graduate students,” he said. “Students who persist in the graduate program will get experience in lecturing.”

Kienzler said her assistant dean position, along with being an associate professor of English, balance out well.

“It fits together,” she said. “It works really well with people who do teaching at Iowa State.”

Mayfield said having Kienzler in the administration is an asset to the graduate college.

“She gives us fresh insight through everything we do,” he said. “She gives us a fresh perspective and brings enthusiasm to the college.”

Mayfield said he is confident of Kienzler’s success because of her experience.

“She served the graduate part of English and worked directly with graduate students,” he said. “She understands graduate students. She’s committed to teaching and learning.”