Event to give info on graduate, professional programs

Luke Willamon

ISU students with graduation on the horizon who are thinking about graduate school can attend Graduate and Professional School Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Beverly Madden, director of career services, said more than 90 representatives from graduate programs in 13 categories.

The include such things as business, education, engineering and agriculture from institutions all over the nation will be at the event.

Students will have the opportunity to find out about admission requirements, the length of their respective programs, employment opportunities after graduation and student life and climate at the colleges and universities.

Madden said about 18 percent of ISU graduates head directly to graduate school, and any student who is considering graduate school should attend the event.

“By visiting with the representatives, students can understand how to apply to graduate programs,” Madden said. “This gives all students who are thinking about graduate school a chance for them to make contacts and put things in the back of their mind.”

A series of 50-minute sessions that will focus on graduate school preparation will be today from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union. Topics include financing a graduate college education, choosing a graduate college and a preview of Wednesday’s event, Madden said. Pre-registration is not needed, and the sessions are free and open to the public.

The sessions are integral in preparing for students for Wednesday, Madden said.

“With the seminars, we hope students are prepared to visit with these representatives,” she said.

Graduate College Associate Dean John Mayfield said the events can be really helpful for uncertain students.

“I think all of these things are helpful for students who are not sure of what they want to do so we give students the information they need,” Mayfield said. “[The event] is there to serve students who are looking around, and they can look at some colleges and universities.”

Madden encourages interested students to visit the Graduate and Professional School Day Web site at www.iastate.edu/~career_info/gpd2001.html.