Club works to get kids, teenagers interested in science

Katie Sonderman

The Society of Chemistry Undergraduate Majors is working to put the fun back in science as the members showcase their talent to elementary and high school students tonight.

Michelle Sommerlot, president of the society, said the club will kick off its year with a program for high school women interested in science and engineering at 2 p.m. today in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The group also will make a presentation at 7 tonight at the Edwards Elementary science night, 3622 Woodland St.

The science night features a variety of demonstrations and hands-on activities for the children, said Sommerlot, sophomore in community health education.

She said one of the kids’ favorite demonstrations is a hands-on experiment done with poly-foam. Sommerlot said the students take two thick liquids and stir them together for about 30 seconds. After this, the liquids grow into a mushroom shape and solidify, taking on a texture of material similar to the material of train sets, she said.

Linda Seaverson, officer of the Parent Teacher Organization at Edwards Elementary, said the school is thrilled to have the Society of Chemistry Undergraduate Majors come back for another year.

“I think that it’s wonderful, and I am amazed that they have the time to put together the presentations,” she said. “The kids are very wowed by the remarkable show.”

The club is looking forward to teaching the students about science, Sommerlot said.

“There is such a stereotype that science is all about books and studying and no fun,” she said. “We are able to show students that there is a lot of fun in science.”

The club puts on presentations for elementary schools and high school science fairs, Sommerlot said, and each program is adjusted to the age level of the audience.

She said the format of the program changes significantly for high school girls.

“To try to get high school girls actively involved, we do a presentation with liquid nitrogen,” she said.

“We dump liquid nitrogen on their hands and arms and watch it roll right off.”

The society members, who put on about six shows each year, put in significant preparation for the events.

The club trains new members in a three-step process, Sommerlot said. First, the new members watch a demonstration of the society’s presentation. Second, they do the presentation with an active member. Finally, the new members do it by themselves.

The Society of Chemistry Undergraduate Majors gets ideas for presentations from books, chemistry department lectures and a chemistry graduate assistant who got ideas while earning his undergraduate degree at the University of Illinois, Sommerlot said.

ClubFest brought several interested people to the organization, Sommerlot said, which now has 12 active members and 40 new members.