Rush on pumps sparked by terrorists attacks

Sara Tennessen

After the terrorist attacks Tuesday morning, rumors began to fly about sharp increases in the price of fuel, prompting Ames citizens to rush to the pumps.

Tales of $2 and $3 price hikes in the Quad Cities and Chicago were exchanged, causing students to grab their car keys and take advantage of the still-stable prices.

The same scenario played out across the country, according to a statement issued by Gov. Tom Vilsack, but it was not caused by the terrorist attacks.

“We want to assure Iowans that today’s tragic events did not include attacks on crude oil supplies, refineries or transports,” he said in Tuesday’s statement. “According to the Petroleum Marketers of Iowa, pipelines and terminals are operating as normal. There is no indication that wholesale prices have increased dramatically. There is plenty of gasoline for Iowa motorists.”

But despite Vilsack’s assurances, people are stocking up.

Vivian Parrott, manager of the Almost Always Open Citgo, 419 Lincoln Way, said she came to work to direct cars during the rush.

“I’ve never been in a situation like this,” she said. “It started when people started getting off work. It didn’t get crazy until about 4 o’clock.”

If the pace keeps up, she said, the station may run out of gas.

“It’ll take quite a bit to run the tanks down, but your guess is as good as mine.”

The station still had plenty of $1.59 gas at 9 p.m., though the rush hadn’t slowed down at all, said cashier Patrick Smuck.

“It’s still as busy as ever,” he said.

Parrott had no speculations about future prices.

“There are all kinds of rumors,” she said. “It shouldn’t affect production that fast, but it depends on whether the government puts restrictions on reserves.”

Marie Ayersman, manager of Kum & Go, 3337 Lincoln Way, said although some stations around the state were hiking prices, Kum & Go would sell gas under the same pricing system.

“We feel that we should not take advantage of a national tragedy,” she said.

She said her station finds out about gas prices from corporate headquarters.

“When other companies go up, we’re going to stay down,” Ayersman said.

But after the recent events, she said, increases may be inevitable.

“The price of gas will go up, just because of what’s going on,” she said.

Benjamin Allen, interim vice president for external affairs, said there is no basis for the rush.

“People are panicking,” said Allen.

“It’s actually a very unfortunate situation that people, given the magnitude of the disaster, are acting in a way that creates panic.”

He said the nature of the attacks leaves no reason for cuts in production, but the increase in sales could cause a basic supply-and-demand problem.

“When there’s any type of situation where there’s a large peak in demand, the prices could go up,” he said.

Kathleen Nolte, freshman in hotel restaurant and institution management, said she came to the Casey’s gas station, 428 Lincoln Way, because friends had warned her about the frenzy.

“It’s already crazy,” she said, pulling the nozzle out of her blue Cavalier Tuesday evening. “I heard it was supposed to go up to like $5.”

Across the street at the Almost Always Open Citgo, Jenny Miller, junior in elementary education, filled up her green Pontiac Grand Prix after a 15-minute wait.

Though cars were piled three-deep for $1.59 gas they pumped, she said she didn’t mind the lines – especially considering the rumors she heard.

“I didn’t really have to wait that long, truthfully,” she said.

“I can’t afford it today, so I won’t be able to afford it tomorrow.”

At Butch’s Amoco, 100 E. Lincoln Way, Candice Schne-berger, sophomore in zoology, and Steve Warner, sophomore in architecture, were fighting the crowds with a legitimately empty gas tank.

“I have no gas,” she said.

But she would rather wait in line today than pay more tomorrow.

“I’ve heard it’s already $4 in the Quad Cities,” she said. “If it’s already $4 there, it’s gonna go up here.”