Cars towed from campus cost students, cause hassle

Sara Drewry

Anyone who parks a vehicle illegally on campus runs the risk of being towed from the spot.

Peggy Best, office coordinator for the Department of Public Safety’s parking division, said most vehicles towed from campus are the result of a complaint.

“A lot of times the vehicles that are parked in 24-hour reserved spots are towed, because the person that has paid for that spot calls and complains that their spot has been taken,” she said. “If we get a complaint, we will tow.”

The university often opts to tow illegally parked cars instead of ticketing because of the limited parking space available on campus, Best said.

Drivers should be aware that their car may be towed if they park illegally, because there are not signs on campus alerting of the possibility.

“It is in the rule book,” she said. “People should just know that if they choose to park illegally, they could be towed.”

Visitors may pick up permits at the parking division at the Armory or at the information booth on Elwood Drive.

The permit allows visitors to park in the general staff parking lot. Visitors also may park at the Iowa State Center and take CyRide to campus.

If a car is towed, the driver is not informed until after 24 hours, Best said.

“People must contact us first and find out where their car is. If we don’t hear from someone in 24 hours, our dispatcher will contact the owner of the car,” she said.

Towing cars from campus is not uncommon. Best said in a busy week DPS may tow up to 10 cars.

Iowa State has a contract with a towing company that is in charge of towing most of the cars parked illegally on campus, she said.

Mike Louis Body Repair and Towing Service, 1901 E. Lincoln Way, has the contract this year. The contract is renewed every year.

The prices for towing vary according to how the car must be towed, said Tom Kepley, mechanic at Dave’s Auto and Truck Service Inc., 205 2nd St.

“We charge right around $70 if we can just hook up and go,” Kepley said. “If the car is a four-wheel drive and is nosed into the parking lot, we can’t.”

Mike Louis, owner of Mike Louis Body Repair and Towing Service, said the high prices of gas also result in higher prices in towing.

“Gas prices are up, so we aren’t making as much money,” he said. “It’s a bad deal.”

Louis said his towing service charge is based on the price decided upon by the contract. However, he would not comment on the price for towing.

“Towing is a bad thing,” Louis said.

“I feel bad towing students’ cars because there is a problem with parking on campus and it just seems to be getting worse.”