Mourning the loss

Wendy Weiskircher and Andrea Hauser

As a cool wind blew through the trees, a somber, stoic silence blanketed Central Campus, where more than 4,500 people gathered Friday to recognize the national day of mourning.

The Campanile and church bells in Ames and across the state tolled in remembrance of victims in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The wail of emergency sirens – a tribute to the firefighters, doctors and law-enforcement officials in New York and Washington, D.C. – added another layer to the mourning and sent shivers through the crowd.

University and community leaders emphasized the importance of unity and the strength of diversity during the 45-minute ceremony.

“There are no enemies on this campus,” said Andy Tofilon, president of the Government of the Student Body, “Only the Cyclone Family.”

Deborah Martinez, president of the Graduate Student Senate, encouraged ISU students, faculty and administrators to unite in the face of the tragedy.

“Take care of each other,” she said. “. Give yourselves time to heal.”

Christie Pope, president of the Faculty Senate, said campus diversity is a vital part of higher education.

“Universities are built on a free exchange of ideas,” she said. “This includes an openness to diversity.”

As the disbelief subsides and reality sets in, Riad Mahayni, professor and chairman of community and regional planning, said the ISU community needs to reach out to each other.

“It is amazing what the human touch can accomplish,” he said.

Tears streamed down the faces of mourners, as they took Mahayni’s advice and embraced while the ISU choir sang “America the Beautiful” to close the ceremony.

Tom Hill, vice president for student affairs, said the national tragedy has brought the ISU community closer together.

“It’s at times like these that we see how small our differences and divisions really are,” he said. “What affects one of us affects us all. It’s our unity that will carry us through these hard times.

“God bless America.”