Horticulture department selects new chairman

Erin Randolph

Campus-wide budget cuts forced the horticulture department to shift its search for a new chairman from national to internal.

Jeff Iles, associate professor of horticulture, was selected from the pool of applicants within the department. He will start as the new department chairman Sept. 1.

“He’s a very responsible person,” said Mike Kelly, interim chairman of horticulture.

“He’s very well known throughout the state. He’s done it all.”

Iles came to Iowa State for his doctorate degree in 1987 and became a full-fledged faculty member in 1993.

“I have been here since 1987, so I know how this department works and how the university works,” Iles said.

Richard Ross, dean of the College of Agriculture and head of the search committee, said Iles will be the chief academic officer.

Ross said Iles’ responsibilities will include coordinating courses, recruiting undergraduate students and helping to make the students’ academic careers successful.

“He also has a very important role in outreach, such as reaching out to various horticulture industries in the state,” Ross said.

“There will also be a responsibility for fund raising.”

Iles said one of the biggest challenges will be juggling all of his job responsibilities.

“More importantly, we have to produce a good product,” Iles said.

“We have a great success story in this program. We have to continue to give a good quality education and continue to do our job.”

Ross said Iles’ abilities as a communicator and leadership skills make him an ideal candidate for the job.

“He understands the horticulture industry very well,” Ross said.

“He also understands the needs of undergraduate students.”

Iles said the horticulture department consists of roughly 300 undergraduate students, 20 faculty members and 20 graduate students.

Kelly, who also served as chairman of the forestry department during his stint as horticulture chairman, will resume his forestry position full-time.

The former chair of horticulture, Mike Chaplin, stepped down from his position last spring and is still a faculty member.

Ross said he is confident Iles will be able to build on the past successes of the horticulture department.

“I’m just very pleased that Dr. Iles has agreed to take this responsibility on,” he said. “We are very excited about the future of the horticulture department at Iowa State.”