Back to Business

Magda Beme

The dorm parking lots look like battlefields. Parents stagger under the weight of the boxes and furniture. The elevators are packed to the max.

Welcome to residence hall move-in week.

Jan Ring, mother of Larch Hall resident Courtney Ring, was overwhelmed by the commotion as the pair pulled into the Maple-Willow-Larch parking lot.

“I thought, `This is a nightmare,'” Jan Ring said. “I wondered how long this was going to take and when I would finally get back home.”

Fortunately, Courtney, freshman in elementary education, is a veteran to the move-in process.

“I packed early and tried to save as much space as possible,” she said. “Coming back, you know what to expect. You know what to bring and what to leave at home.”

James Walrack, Larch Hall resident, said his unpacking was a smooth process, thanks to a crew of his family members.

“We’ve just had little difficulties,” said Walrack, undeclared freshman. “It’s small things, like getting lumber for the loft.”

Although he’ll miss some aspects of home, Walrack said he was anxious to start his first school year at Iowa State.

“I’ll miss my friends, but I’m excited about meeting new people and having a new experience that will be different from high school,” he said.

Resident assistants, community assistants and academic resource coordinators helped students move in and welcomed them to the residence halls, said Ken Smith, Larch Hall director.

“We want the students to take pride in the building and to be part of the community,” he said. “We help them make a smooth transition between high school and college life and we are a resource for anyone who needs help.”

Nick Ford, Larch Hall resident assistant, said he prepared all summer for move-in week. As he begins his third semester on staff, he remembers the uncertainty he felt last year as a new staff member.

“Last year I didn’t really know what to expect,” said Ford, senior in construction engineering. “This year, I know the types of questions that I’ll get from parents and the types of questions that I’ll get from students.”

Although his main focus is making the new students feel at home, Ford said it can be more important to make the parents feel at ease.

James Walrack’s parents, Laurie and Jon Walrack, said they know the feeling.

“We’re excited for all the opportunities that he’ll have here, but we’re just sad to see him go,” Laurie Walrack said. “The anticipation has been horrible. I’ll let you know how I feel tomorrow.”

By attending floor activities and meeting the house leaders, new students are able to interact with the rest of their peers and feel more at ease, Ford said.

“I try to make them feel like they are a familiar face and that they have a home here on the floor,” he said. “I want them to feel comfortable while they are here.”