Dean of students finalist preaches advocacy

Cavan Reagan

Extensive experience with first-generation college students is a selling point of one of three candidates for the dean of students position.

Todd Holcomb, director of residence life and new student programs at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, was the first candidate to speak to members of the ISU community.

Holcomb addressed a number of issues, ranging from budget cuts to making students become leaders and to act responsibly.

“I see the Dean of Students as being a student advocate – an individual to fight for students’ rights and really stand up for the students when policies and decisions are being made, and also listen to students . so that you can stay in touch with students,” Holcomb said.

Keeping up to date with students and their activities will be a priority, he said to approximately 20 people at Friday’s open forum.

“The higher up you go in an organization, you can feel removed from students, the people that you’re really trying to serve and trying to help,” Holcomb said.

Holcomb has worked with a number of committees which focused on first-generation college students and minority students. He has also worked at the University of Georgia, Athens, and Texas Tech University.

“He brings a lot of knowledge,” said Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator in the dean of students office.

Bestler-Wilcox was one member of the group which listened to Holcomb Friday.

Holcomb spoke about projects he has been involved with at his current position in Ohio, such as a program in which deans teach seminars in the residence halls and work he has done with the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity.

Involving the greek system in university efforts is also something Holcomb said he will focus on.

“We should not divest ourselves from involvement in the greek community,” he said. “I think we should be working with them, I think we should be encouraging them.”

Holcomb also said he thinks too much emphasis is put on negative stereotypes of college students, such as alcohol violations or hazing.

“We hear too much of the negative. Let’s hear some of the positive things our students are doing,” he said.

The Dean of Students office is a key component to pulling people together not only educationally but personally, Holcomb said.

“We have to teach patience and we have to encourage them and say `You can change the world, you can change the global climate,'” he said.