ISU looks into gambling claim

Emily Arthur

An Iowa State sports team is under investigation by the ISU athletic department regarding a suspicion of internet gambling within the department.

The NCAA and Big 12 Conference have been informed of the violation in which the athletic department calls “an isolated incident involving a nonrevenue sport and Internet gambling.”

Bo Carter, Media Relations Director of the Big 12 Conference, said the charge was an internal matter and directed all questions to the media relations office at Iowa State University.

Despite a report by the Des Moines Register in which Carter named the ISU men’s golf team as the team targeted by the investigation, Carter said that the Big 12 Conference isn’t currently releasing the identity of the team accused.

Carter declined to say whether or not the men’s golf team was the team involved in the investigation or when more information would be released.

Efforts to obtain comments from the men’s or women’s golf teams were unsuccessful.

A member of the men’s team was reached by phone but declined to comment, while the ten remaining members couldn’t be reached as of Monday night.

Jay Horton, men’s golf coach, directed any calls on the matter to ISU Athletic Director Bruce Van De Velde, who did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Under NCAA Bylaw 10.3, the NCAA prohibits athletic department staff and student-athletes from participating in any gambling activities relating to intercollegiate or professional sporting events.

Student-athletes and staff are not allowed to solicit a bet, accept a bet or participate in any gambling activity that involves college or professional athletics.

The bylaw also includes providing information to individuals who are involved in organized gambling activities in college athletics.

It is unclear as to the severity of the violation or how many members of the unnamed ISU team are involved but anyone involved in the gambling claim are subject to NCAA sanctions.

According to Bylaw 10.3.1 in the NCAA Division I Manual, a student-athlete will lose a minimum of one year of eligibility if found guilty of an infraction.

Depending on the violation, a student-athlete or staff member may lose all eligibility or job opportunity.

Those who are found to violate the bylaws more than once lose all eligibility in all collegiate sports.

Efforts to reach Shep Cooper from the NCAA Committee on Infractions proved to be unsuccessful.

It is unknown at this time when the investigation will be concluded or when more information will be known by Iowa State, the Big 12 Conference or the NCAA Division I Infractions Committee.

The ISU athletic department did release a written statement informing the public and the media of the Internet gambling investigation but will have no further comment until after the report is reviewed.