ISU, Ames communities take a Taste of Veishea

Wendy Weiskircher

With live music in the background and the aroma of hot food wafting in the air, Welch Avenue transformed into a street party as thousands of people gathered to get a Taste of Veishea.

Babies in strollers, dogs on leashes and hungry people crowded the street, weighing their choices for food and trying to decide which live band was the best.

“We were really busy last night, and it’s been on and off today,” said 17-year-old Casey Brown, who was manning the Happy Joe’s food stand Saturday afternoon. “I think it’s a great chance for the college students to get a break before finals.”

Food vendors and Battle of the Bands patrons had to brave temperature swings Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Brown said nine members of the Ames High track team helped hold up the Happy Joe’s tent against the wind Friday night.

Robyn Rohler, a sophomore at Ames High School, also was helping Brown in the food stand. She said Taste of Veishea brings community members together during the annual spring celebration.

“It’s a place where people can bring their kids and high school, and college students are here, too,” said the 16-year-old, as she handed another stack of napkins to Brown.

People from across Iowa brought their kids to Veishea and stopped by Welch for a bite to eat.

Melissa Irmiter from Algona sat in the sun with her sister-in-law and 2-year-old son, Riley, at a picnic table Saturday afternoon.

“I’m just along for the ride,” said the first-time Veishea-goer, as Riley munched on chips and a Subway sandwich.

Groups of kids and college students gathered around inflatable games, competing against each other in the joust and bungee-cord run.

Adam Harder, senior in agronomy, emerged victorious from a battle with his roommate in the joust Saturday afternoon.

“My favorite part [of Taste of Veishea] was watching my roommate getting beat in the joust by his girlfriend,” he said.

Cheered on by their friends, 12-year-olds Lisa Grace Duvik and Krystal McVicken raced each other in the bungee-cord run Saturday afternoon.

McVicken, a sixth-grader at Ballard-Slater, said she was undefeated in the bungee-cord run.

“It’s so fun!” she said.

Among the food vendors on Welch, Duvik, a seventh-grader at Ames Middle School, said funnel cakes are the treat of choice.

“They’re my favorite,” she said, as she re-tied her shoelaces after the bungee-cord run. “We get them every time we come here and every time we go to a fair.”