Tradition in family

Valerie Dennis

The largest student-run celebration in the country kicks off Friday as Veishea begins its 79th year.

The Veishea theme this year is “Creating Cyclone Unity,” which ties in closely with the yearlong university theme of “Strengthening Families to Become the Best.”

“We wanted to tie the Veishea theme with the university theme of families,” said Kathy Craig, Veishea co-chair. “There are a lot of people that are part of the Cyclone family, and Veishea brings them all together, creating unity.”

Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, said it’s important for the ISU community to be a strong family, and the family theme fits well this year.

“Coming together is what the celebration is designed to do,” he said. “We need to promote unity of the Cyclone Family. We can’t face the challenges we are facing now, like budget cuts, without being a strong family.”

Brian Nash, Veishea co-chair, said Veishea is important because it gives a lot of recognition to everyone at Iowa State. It shows the good things students do all year and what Ames has to offer, he said.

“Veishea is a good example of how students can plan a large-scale event and work with people to plan something successful and enjoyable,” said Nash, senior in mechanical engineering. “Veishea represents the university working with the students.”

Nash said Veishea has had some problems in the past regarding alcohol, possibly putting the traditional celebration in jeopardy, but everyone has worked through it.

“The university should be proud of how it has worked through the problems,” Nash said. “There were some transition years recently, but Veishea is on an upswing now.”

Craig said Veishea has lasted so long because it appeals to so many people and is an event both ISU students and the Ames community can enjoy together.

“Veishea is an important representative of Iowa Sate,” said Craig, senior in Spanish. “It promotes leadership, entertains and educates, which are all basic tenets of Iowa State.”

Hill said Veishea is a valued tradition that has reinvented itself over the years to become the celebration it is today.

“It’s part of ISU’s fabric, what makes ISU a unique and great institution,” he said. “The celebration maintains the aspects of history important to the institution and adds things that are currently important.”

Hill said Veishea gives the entire state the chance to see what Iowa State has been doing all year and gives students the chance to realize why they chose to attend Iowa State.

One of the biggest Veishea events, the parade, will be held an hour earlier this year, starting at 10:40 a.m.

Other major events are Dew the Rec, featuring comedian Wayne Brady on Friday night, and Center Stage, featuring Vertical Horizon and Five for Fighting on Saturday night.

Open houses will be held throughout campus all day Saturday. Stars Over Veishea will perform the musical “Oklahoma!” Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon.

Taste of Veishea, with 10 food vendors, will be on Welch Avenue Friday and Saturday, and Battle of the Bands will run from 2 p.m. Friday to midnight.

“Everyone needs to stay for Veishea because it’s so much fun,” Nash said. “There are so many opportunities to have a good time. There are plenty of arts, theater, mainstream and off-beat music, comedy and food everywhere. If someone can’t find something fun to do, they aren’t looking very hard.”