GSB contest urges letters to legislators

Wendy Weiskircher

As state legislators discuss pending multi-million dollar cuts to the state budget, student leaders are working to present a united student plea to keep the cuts to the universities’ budgets in check.

The Government of the Student Body, working with the Inter-Residence Hall Association, Panhellenic Council and Interfraternity Council, has organized a letter-writing contest among on-campus and greek residencies to let the legislators know how the cuts affect the students.

“We all have to come together now,” said GSB President Andy Tofilon. “The purpose is to make sure the legislators and state government as a whole knows what they’re doing to the very institutions that they depend on for the state to grow and become strong.”

The dorm floor in each residence association – Towers Residence Association, Union Drive Association and Richardson Court Association – that turns in the most letters will win $200 for their floor treasury to be used during Dead Week. The winning fraternity and sorority will also win $200 each to put toward the chapters’ philanthropies.

Students living in the dorms may submit letters to their hall desks until noon Friday, and students in the greek community may turn in their letters by Thursday to the Panhellenic or Interfraternity council offices.

Letters will be delivered to the legislators during the week of April 23, when student representatives from Iowa State, the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa will converge on the steps of the capitol for a rally.

GSB Vice President Charlie Johnson said the budget cuts will translate into higher tuition in the wake of the 9.9 percent increase approved by the Board of Regents for the 2001-2002 academic year.

“They are downsizing the university,” he said. “This is our only shot, and that’s why this is important – extremely important.”

Johnson said students need to prove to legislators that they care. A majority of students don’t vote, he said, and many leave Iowa after graduation.

“The counterargument is, `What incentive do we have to stay now?'” Johnson said. “This is really going to hurt Iowa in the long run.”

GSB leaders are planning a preliminary visit to the capitol Tuesday to lay the groundwork for the tuition fight.

“There’s going to be a tuition increase next year, and for the good of the university, it has to be big,” Tofilon said.

How big, he said, depends on the size of the budget cuts to regent schools the Legislature approves this spring. To make a difference, Johnson said, students have to work with each other and the administration.

“We’re all in the same boat, up the same creek,” he said. “And they’re taking our paddle away from us.”