Prof speaks on benefits of online courses

Sara Tennessen

aDeveloping and integrating on-line learning in the classroom was the focus of the second Master Teacher Workshop on Monday.Tom Ingebritsen, associate professor of zoology and genetics, detailed the benefits and detriments of Internet classes during his lecture, “How to Teach a Course on the Internet — Project BIO Model.” Ingebritsen is one of six faculty members named by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as a “master teacher” for their use of technology in the classroom.As the director of Project BIO, a program whose mission is to develop and share biology instructional materials via the Internet, Ingebritsen is bringing 10 biology and economic courses to students both on and off campus.”This semester we have almost 600 students enrolled in these classes,” he said. “We’ve experienced tremendous growth since our 29 students in fall of ’96.”Internet-based classes provide more flexibility to students than traditional lectures, Ingebritsen said.”A student may attend a lecture in their dorm room at midnight,” he said. “They can go through the lecture at a pace that suits them and have unlimited ability to review lectures.”The advantage of online testing is the immediate feedback, Ingebritsen said. “Students can instantly find out what they got an the exam because it’s all machine-graded,” he said.Grades are posted online and students can only access their own scores, reducing security problems with identification numbers frequently associated with traditional grade postings, Ingebritsen said.The program does have its disadvantages, however.”You lose a lot of that spontaneous interaction,” Ingebritsen said. “And if you’re not comfortable using your computer, taking one of these courses can be a nightmare, at least at first.”Lindsay Snitker, senior in journalism and mass communication, said she attended the lecture because she wants to work with computer-based instruction after she graduates.”It was obviously targeted toward faculty, but I just think it’s a great learning experience for everyone involved,” she said. Ruth Litchfield, food science and human nutrition practical placement coordinator, also said her experience with the online learning program has been very useful.”I work with the program where students are doing internships across the state,” she said. “It’s been wonderful for us.”