Grad student robbed at gunpoint

Sara Drewry

An ISU male graduate student was the victim of an armed robbery while he was walking home early Tuesday morning.

The incident occurred at 2:53 a.m. Tuesday on campus, and the victim’s name is not being released at this time, according to Department of Public Safety reports.

“We are concerned about his safety and want to protect him,” said Cpt. Gene Deisinger of the special operations unit.

The report stated that the victim was walking on the sidewalk south of the Design College.

“He was just on his way home,” Deisinger said.

He said the suspect approached the victim from behind and demanded money. The suspect then displayed a handgun and pointed it at the victim.

“The male then handed over his wallet and keys to the suspect,” Deisinger said.

He said the amount the suspect got away with could not be released.

After the suspect was handed the money, Deisinger said he ran toward Bissell Road. The victim reported the robbery to the Ames Police Department, which turned it over to DPS because it took place on campus.

“The victim called and said that he had just been approached by a male pointing a gun at him and demanding money,” Deisinger said. “We were very concerned for his safety, but thankful that the victim was not injured.”

According to the DPS report, the suspect was described as a man 18-25 years of age, 5’8″ to 5’10” tall, thin build, with short black hair. He was wearing a dark blue jogging suit and had a red handkerchief over his face.

DPS briefed with the Ames Police Department to be alert for any related cases, said Ames Police Sgt. Mike Johns. “So far, however, there aren’t any,” he said.

Deisinger said they are continuing to follow leads and identify the people involved. He said they are in the process of issuing a crime alert and will distribute it as soon as it comes back from the printer’s office.

It will provide a description of the suspect and a reward for any information leading to an arrest. The amount of the reward will be around $1,000. Deisinger said no sketch of the victim is available at this time.