Softball drops four games over the weekend

Emily Arthur

The ISU softball team dropped four games over the weekend at the Seminole Invitational in Tallahassee, Fla. to drop its record to 9-13 on the season.

In the first round of the tournament, Iowa State fell to Syracuse in a game decided by one run.

The Cyclones took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning off an Adi Blackmon single. Kimi Yoshizawa led off the inning with a double to left center. Freshman Ashley Core was brought in to pinch run for Yoshizawa and advanced to third off a Rainey Eanes sacrifice bunt. Blackmon’s single scored Core to give Iowa State the lead.

Syracuse exploded in the top of the fifth inning, scoring two runs on three hits to take the 2-1 lead.

Iowa State never got any closer.

Blackmon led the Cyclones at the plate, collecting two hits and one RBI. Eanes, Yoshizawa, Erica Martinez and Kelly Wardein each contributed a hit in the loss.

Sophomore hurler Jen Bice took the loss for Iowa State, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out ten.

The second game saw Florida State jump out to a 5-0 led over Iowa State in the bottom of the fifth inning. Florida State added one run in the sixth on the way to a 6-0 win.

Martinez took the loss for the Cyclones, enabling four runs on two hits in five innings of work.

With Friday’s action behind them, Saturday’s games saw low scoring and narrow defeats for the Cyclones.

In the first game of the day, Iowa State fell to Florida Atlantic, 2-1.

Martinez recorded the loss for the Cyclones, allowing two runs on four hits while striking out five.

Yoshizawa led the Cyclones offensively with one hit and a RBI. Martinez, Amberly Lessenger and Mindy Ogan each contributed a hit in the loss.

The second game of the day pitted Iowa State against the No. 21 ranked Michigan Wolverines.

Blackmon and Julia Lindsey each had a hit for the Cyclones, but it wasn’t enough as Michigan shut out the Cyclones for the 2-0 victory.

Martinez took the loss for the Cyclones giving up two runs on seven hits while striking out five. The loss dropped the sophomore’s record to 2-7 on the season.

Spring break also brought lots of action for Iowa State. The Cyclones went 5-1 in the Missouri Round Robin with the only loss coming to fellow Big 12 school Missouri, and also captured a 7-0 win over Florida A&M before falling to Florida State the following day.

For her effort in the round robin, freshman shortstop Eanes was awarded Big 12 Player of the Week for March 5-11. The Texas native had a batting average of .423 and hit five doubles while batting in nine runs. Eanes was also impressive on the defensive side recording 11 assists and eight putouts.

The next action for the Cyclones will be Saturday, March 24 when they meet up against Baylor to start Big 12 play. The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and will be Iowa State’s home opener.