Welk, Smith seek to start multicultural center

Wendy Weiskircher

Editor’s note: This profile is the fourth and final in a series that takes an in-depth look at the executive-slate candidates running in the Government of the Student Body election. The fourth slate spotlights Matt Welk and Shelley Smith.With a platform based on sheer love for Iowa State, two ISU students vying for the Government of the Student Body executive offices hope to enhance each student’s experience as a Cyclone.Presidential candidate Matt Welk and vice-presidential candidate Shelley Smith, both of Muscatine, said they want to make a fundamental change in the way GSB relates to ISU students.”Shelley and I do realize there are some changes that need to be made, especially in accessibility,” said Welk, junior in exercise and sport science. “GSB as a whole needs to open up and reach out instead of being the club it tends to be sometimes. I have friends who don’t even know they can come to meetings and speak.”The pair said the university should establish a multicultural center to extend a more welcoming atmosphere to students of all cultures.”It’s important that students of all cultures feel welcome here,” said Smith, junior in animal science. “We recruit a lot of minority students, but we can’t retain them, and that’s something we need to work on.”With the variety of issues facing the student body, Welk said it is important to seek student input before executives design a course of action.”People keep asking us how we feel about all these issues,” he said. “It’s my opinion that a good leader doesn’t have concrete views on every little thing. A real leader is someone who asks everyone where they want to be and finds a way to get them there.”The most important thing, Welk said, is that students find something they enjoy and get involved.”We just want to make sure that everyone has a good time — there’s something for everyone at Iowa State,” he said. “We want to make sure everyone knows what’s available to them, what they’re paying for.”Smith said the involvement can make the difference in a college experience.”I think students can get a lot more out of their time at Iowa State if they take advantage of all the opportunities offered to them,” she said. “We can make them more aware by going to the students,” Smith said.The change in the student-government culture needs to come from the top, Welk said.”It starts with the attitude of the executives,” he said. “The executives really need to focus on being the ones who are out there talking to students, talking to groups.”The combination of leadership Welk and Smith can offer students gives them an advantage, Welk said.”I found somebody else who loves Iowa State as much as I do,” he said. “We understand each other’s leadership styles. I think it’s more important that we don’t agree on all the issues.”Welk, who ran for GSB president last year, said running a write-in campaign is an “uphill battle.””We’re not running for ourselves — we’re not going to be politicians,” he said. “We just have a pretty good understanding of Iowa State, and we’re pretty darn good listeners. If we didn’t think we could do this, we wouldn’t be running a write-in campaign.”Smith is an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, and she is on the Dance Marathon executive committee. Welk has been active in many campus organizations, in the residence halls and in the GSB Cabinet.”We’re Cyclones. We’re students,” Welk said. “We’re in this because we love Iowa State, and there’s no other motivation.”