Survey finds gambling is present on college campuses

Sara Drewry

Bet on this — gambling will cause problems. “As March Madness approaches, gambling takes off big around the country,” said Loras Jaeger, director of the ISU Department of Public Safety. “We’d be naive to assume there’s not a problem here on campus. We haven’t been involved in any illegal gambling arrests, but we are sure it is going on here.” College gambling sparked a nationwide survey last October. Don Whalen, coordinator of departmental research for the ISU Department of Residence and the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, said surveys were sent randomly to ISU students. Results from the 308 surveys returned showed students participate in the lottery, as well as sports betting through friends or a bookie and also on the Internet. “Everywhere you turn, there [are] ads about gambling; we’re surrounded by the temptation to gamble,” Whalen said. He said 21 percent of the students surveyed admitted gambling is a problem and 11 percent knew someone on campus with a gambling problem.Peter Moody, senior in exercise and sports science, admits he gambles. Moody bets on sports over the Internet at least three to five days a week, gambling from $50 to $300, depending on the game. When he lived in Minnesota, Moody said he went to the casinos at least twice a week, taking only $50 and no credit cards. While he doesn’t feel he gambles outrageous amounts of money, Moody said it has caused him some added stress. “There are big nights and bad days,” he said. Moody checks the lines on the Internet every day to see if there are any matches he likes. He said the most he has lost in one weekend was $400 while the most he won in one weekend was $1,100.”There’s a certain art to gambling,” he said. Betting on sports isn’t as risky as it sounds if people are knowledgeable about it. Moody said this is because it is not all based on luck like other games such as black jack. When betting on sports, Moody said he looks at golf, tennis, baseball, college teams and professional basketball or football. He said he won’t bet on his favorite teams such as Iowa State or Minnesota.