GSB: Students won’t vote on seats

Wendy Weiskircher

The Government of the Student Body voted down legislation Monday night to let students decide the fate of the four specialty senate seats.Jennifer Ray, American ethnic minority senator, proposed a bill that would add a referendum to the March 6-7 general election ballot to eliminate the pre-registration requirement for specialty seats. Currently, students must register as constituents of the four seats — American ethnic minority, disability, international and nontraditional — six weeks prior to the election. GSB Election Commissioner Chris Wisher said 50 students are registered to vote for specialty seats in this spring’s election.The senate voted 12-16 against the bill that Ray said would increase representation for specialty seat constituents. There was one abstention.Jim McCurdy, former nontraditional senator, said specialty seat candidates do not know which students to campaign to unless there is a registration deadline before the election.”I don’t know who I’m campaigning against or who I’m campaigning for,” said McCurdy, junior in microbiology. “I don’t know who to get my message out to. How do I run a campaign if, all of a sudden, a bunch of people register the day before the election?”However, David Legge, engineering, said block-voting could affect any senate race, and the senate should put the question to the students.”It could also happen in any other constituency area,” he said. “Ultimately, it’s not going to be us deciding this issue, it’s going to be the students. I think we should at least give them the chance to vote on it.”However, Andrew Kothenbeutel, TRA, said eliminating registration presents “all sorts of potential for trouble.””There is too much margin of error,” he said. “There has to be at least some period for registration. If we really want to address the problem, we have to figure out why the information [about registration] isn’t getting out.”Alex Rodeck, off campus, said eliminating the registration deadline for the specialty seats would not affect the numbers of registered students, and a greater emphasis should be put on advertising the rules.”I just think if people thought that signing up for their specialty seat was that important, they would sign up six weeks before the election,” he said. “I think this is the wrong way to go about it.”