First forum delayed

Julie Rule

Members of the ISU community will have to wait a little longer to meet the five new presidential candidates.Benjamin Allen, chairman of the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee, said the forum with Cora Marrett has been postponed to Wednesday due to scheduling problems.”It was something we didn’t want to do, but we couldn’t work it out,” said Allen, dean of business. “Because of unavailability, Dr. Marrett has been moved back.”Students, faculty and staff will have their first opportunity to ask questions of the ISU presidential candidates during the open forums, beginning with Sharon Stephens Brehm, provost at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, on Tuesday.Each day will consist of two forums — a general open forum and another on diversity issues.As moderator of the open forum, Allen said the finalists will be introduced and will then be allowed five to 10 minutes for opening comments.Afterwards, they will go into the question-and-answer session, he said.Allen said committee member Shirley Dunlap, associate professor of music, will most likely moderate the diversity forum, which will operate much the same way.”The key for the open forums is to have the opportunity for the people attending to ask questions of the candidates, and that’s how we set them up,” he said.There should be a wide variety of questions asked at the forum, including topics such as tenure, finances and leadership style, said David Hopper, committee member.”I’m sure they’ll range from academic issues to style of management to what their views are on what it means to be a land-grant university,” Allen said. “I wouldn’t be surprised to hear a question like, ‘What are the major challenges facing higher education?'”Allen said he hoped people will get a good sense of the candidates from the forums and a better understanding of what they can do for the university.People can find out each person’s view on the role of land-grant universities, personal skills and values on higher education at the forums, Allen said.”The most important outcome is for the people attending to get more information on that candidate,” he said. “At the same time, I think it gives the candidate a great opportunity to learn about the concerns and issues facing Iowa State.”Hopper, professor of veterinary diagnostic and production animal medicine, said he believes people could get a lot of information about the candidates from the forums.”I hope that they can get a very good sense of the leadership style, the intelligence and the vision of the candidates as a leader for Iowa State so they can make an intelligent choice,” said Hopper, Faculty Senate president.Allen said he would encourage everyone — students, faculty and staff — to attend the open forums and the diversity forums.”This person we’ll select will be the president of the institution they’ll graduate from, so they should play a key role in the selection process,” he said.