Vilsack proposes statewide teacher-pay increase

Katie Jensen

Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack has proposed to the Iowa Legislature a statewide $40 million pay increase for teachers aimed at keeping young educators on the job and in the state.Sen. Kitty Rehberg, R-Rowley, said the proposal would be based on salary steps if it is approved this session.”With this pay-base deal, there will be salary steps within each range and they will state the minimum increase to rise from one step to another,” said Rehberg, vice chairwoman for the education senate appropriations subcommittee. “Instead of teachers fleeing the state of Iowa, they will stay in Iowa because of the support we give to our teachers and the increase in base pay.”Rehberg said the increase would apply to other positions in public education, in addition to teacher salaries.The proposal is aimed to offer general pay raises for teachers in a more professional system, Rehberg said.”There are career-path steps in this,” Rehberg said. “[Teaching is] a profession.”Some legislators working with the proposal said they feel it also will lead to higher standards for the state’s educators.”The bill itself is designed for student achievement,” Rehberg said. “Dollars do not make the system and do not make the children learn.”Rep. Cecil Dolecheck, R-Mount Ayr, said the proposal will take considerable effort to put the salary plan into effect.”It’s going to be a package that will take a lot of work to put together,” said Dolecheck, chairman of the education house appropriations subcommittee. “It attempts to overhaul the system and base that on standards of achievement and plans they have put in place. There are several different criteria, and teacher evaluations and career steps that help to work with teachers and give more support as they move through the system. They can improve their salaries, so [Iowa] can attract and retain teachers.”Both Rehberg and Dolecheck said the proposal has been changed since it first came to the House and Senate subcommittees.”As we move along, we’ve made some changes, but we have to do something, because the quality of education is not keeping pace, and we have to figure out what to do,” Rehberg said.Dolecheck said he expects a bipartisan effort to resolve the issue.”The governor’s bill was reasonable,” he said. “Some may be contentious, but we will work for a common goal. Everyone wants the same outcome, but the details might be variable between the members of the Legislature.”Rehberg noted the importance of the proposal to students, teachers and the state.”By teaching, through quality students, we will be able to move Iowa in a progressive and productive manner,” she said. “I think [teachers] are going to be very pleased. Right now, they’re a little skeptical, and they don’t know what to expect, but we will have a good system once we have it put in place.”At Iowa State, the $40 million pay boost could also lead to more teachers and a better environment for current instructors.Donna Cowan, professor of family and consumer sciences, said the pay boost may bring more opportunities for instructors.”It may allow for them to be attracted to the field and more in-service work,” she said. “Perhaps, there would be a chance for classes to be smaller and be more technological, and help improve the whole environment.”Other instructors said a pay boost would attract more college students to the profession.”Morale among teachers is often low, and the jobs are stressful,” said Brent Bruton, professor of sociology. “More attention should also be given to improving the organizational climate in which teachers work. Still, teacher pay has not kept up with pay for other college graduates and increases are needed. The attraction rate of good, young teachers out of teaching into other jobs is high.”David Williams, professor of education administration, said a pay boost may greatly affect the number of teachers in Iowa.”I think a pay boost may help retain some of our teachers in the profession and also encourage new people to go into it, if we can get the salaries more competitive with other jobs,” he said. “We have a shortage of agriculture teachers in the nation, and we need to attract more people to the teaching profession.”Bruton said the pay increase is a good first step.”Iowa could do more for teachers,” he said. “Who is more important in society than those with whom we entrust to care for and develop our children and on which we stake our future?”