Cyclone men’s track teams hold their own at ISU Open

Zac Reicks

Powered by strong individual performances in the field events, the ISU men’s track team turned in an excellent showing at the ISU Open held this weekend at the Lied Recreation Center.Seeing his first action of the year, newcomer Dan Kaczmarczyk won the long jump with a leap of 25-4. Joining the ISU team at the semester, Kaczmarczyk became the seventh long jumper in Cyclone history to clear the 25- foot mark.”Dan did a real outstanding job this weekend,” said head coach Steve Lynn. “He joined the team this semester after training and competing in the world junior championships in Chile the first semester. For him to do this well is really a pleasant surprise.”Lynn said he was happy with his team’s performance after they put in their hardest week of practice.”After the week of practice that we had, many times your team won’t run very well because they are a little worn down,” Lynn said. “You really won’t see the results of your hard work until a couple of weeks later. However, I felt that while our team didn’t necessarily turn in great times, we did have some good performances.”Riding the momentum of his stellar effort in Minnesota one week ago, senior hurdler Andy Long captured the 60m hurdles crown by breaking the meet record with a personal best time of 7.87 seconds. Long, lightly recruited out of high school, beat David Davis of Nebraska by .002 of a second in a literal photo finish. Ten minutes after the race, Long was crowned champion by the judges.Zech Scheibout continued his early season success by placing third in the weight throw, 57-2 and fifth in the shot put, 51-10. The distance medley team, Craig Cartier, Nic Weers, Troy Weiland, and cross country standout Mike Mwangong, took home gold in their event with a time of 10:04:04. Shuffling the lineup, due to injuries, Lynn has been able to keep the team at the top of their event thanks to the incredible depth the ‘Clones enjoy in the middle distances.The ISU men hope to continue their early success as they return to action Feb. 2 in the Mercantile Bank Invite at Northern Iowa University in Cedar Falls.