Former botany professor dies

Andrea Hauser

Iowa State has lost a former member of the botany department and a knowledgeable leader in the study of legumes.

Duane Isely, distinguished emeritus professor of botany, died Thursday at the Ramsey Home in Des Moines due to complications from Alzheimer’s Disease.

Isely came to Iowa State in 1944 and retired in 1989. During his time here, Isely worked as a seed technician, weed scientist and curator of the Ada Hayden Herbarium from 1986 to 1989, said Deborah Lewis, curator of the herbarium.

“He actually had about three or four different careers here and stayed active until Alzheim-er’s Disease made it impossible for him to continue his work,” she said

One of Isely’s major contributions to the department was his research of the legume family, said Lynn Clark, professor of botany and director of the herbarium.

Clark said Isely compiled his research in the book “Native and Naturalized Leguminosae of the United States.”

“This was really a compilation of his incredible knowledge of the bean family, which is of great economic importance,” she said. “Even at the time of his retirement he was rarin’ to go on these projects. His main goal was to finish this book on legumes, which is really going to be a useful reference.”

Isely was also responsible for the naming of the herbarium after its founder, Clark said.

“While he was director of the herbarium he had it named formally after Ada Hayden, who was the first woman to earn a Ph.D. at Iowa State,” she said. “He wanted to honor her, so her name is on the herbarium. It was a wonderful choice.”

Both Lewis and Clark said Isely was especially known for his sense of humor.

“He had a subtle sense of humor,” Lewis said, “the kind of thing that sometimes hours later it would occur to me what he said, and it would be hilarious.”

Lewis said Isely’s tendency for humor eventually led to another publication, “101 Botanists,” a history of famous botanists and their contributions to the field.

She said the publication began as an addendum to the botany department newsletter.

“Folks enjoyed them so much that they suggested he pull them together and get them published,” Lewis said.

Clark also said Isely had a kind heart.

“He was always wanting to know how you were,” she said. “I remember when I was first a graduate student, he invited me to Thanksgiving dinner at his house because he was concerned that I didn’t have any place to go.”

Memorial contributions for Isely can be sent to the Ada Hayden Herbarium in the ISU botany department or the Ramsey Home in Des Moines, which specializes in the care of Alzheimer’s patients.