Couple donates $1.5 million in honor of pet

Katie Anderson

An Ames couple is donating $1.5 million to the ISU Veterinary Teaching College in memory of a favored pet.

Kathleen Waggoner, adjunct assistant professor of sociology and political science, and David Waggoner, emeritus faculty member in the theatre department, will be donating the money to the ISU Foundation as part of their estate.

Norman Cheville, interim dean for the College of Veterinary Medicine, said the Waggoners are donating the money in memory of Tippi, a Chihuahua that was their companion dog for nearly 14 years.

“This is a time in their life when they wanted to make a gift,” he said.

Kathleen Waggoner said they have a number of animals that have received care at the clinic, and they wanted to give something back to the doctors and staff who have helped them.

“They laugh with us when things are going well and give us a chance to grieve when they aren’t,” she said. “We have a special love for four-legged creatures, and there is no better way to give back.”

Cheville said the money would be going to four different areas of the Veterinary College.

“One area that will be receiving the money is to purchase equipment that will specialize in the care for cats and dogs — companion animals,” he said. “The second is a tuition scholarship for an Iowa native who will specialize in small animal medicine and surgery.”

Cheville said the third will be a fund for an animal behavior position, a specialist in the behavior of companion animals to improve their health.

The last will create a Good Samaritan fund named after Tippi. Money will be given for the treatment of sick companion animals to people who might not have the funds to pay for the medical care they need, Cheville said.

Chris Brown, professor and chairman for veterinary clinical sciences, said the Waggoners are long-time residents of Ames who had a variety of doctors look after their animal’s health care.

“Dr. Ron Grier, [professor of veterinary clinical sciences], worked with many of their animals over the years, helped them set up a lot of the details of the package,” he said. “He knew the primary needs and options of the hospital and why the Waggoners wanted to choose the different areas to put the money into.”

Brown said they had a variety of reasons for putting the money into specific areas.

“They have an interest in small animals and felt that treatment can be very expensive, and people can’t always afford treatment,” he said.

He said the couple wanted to help relieve the financial burden of veterinary students. He said they also wanted to donate for general support of equipment.

“We are constantly trying to improve and upgrade. This is very expensive, and the hospital can’t meet their financial needs with just client fees and state funds,” he said.

Brown said the gift will benefit students, clients and the hospital.

“This will have significant impact on the quality of service and education that we can offer,” he said. “We think it will have a long-term impact on students for generations to come.”

Kathleen Waggoner said she and her husband have been talking about this donation for more than a year.

“The staff, technicians, faculty … everybody at the vet clinic has a sense of caring and compassion for all the clients,” she said. “I see people at the front desk, and they’re all working so hard.”

Waggoner said the treatment they have received at the Veterinary Clinic over the years is what prompted them to donate the money.

“It’s not just one person,” she said. “It’s the way everybody out there treats people and how they care about the clients.”