Remaining Black History Month events

Harriet+Tubman

Courtesy of Flickr

Harriet Tubman

Caitlin Yamada

As February wraps up, there are still a few Black History Month events being featured at Iowa State.

On Monday, there will be a performance of the “Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad” as part of the Youth Matinee Series. The performance will take place at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. in Stephens Auditorium.

“This stirring drama is an accurate and deeply moving musical history lesson and a classic tribute to the courageous American who freed herself and hundreds of others from slavery,” according to the Iowa State Center.

The suggested grade levels for audience members is three to eight. 

On Wednesday, “A Day in the Life of a Rural African Woman” will take place in 2030 Morrill Hall from 12:10 to 1 p.m.

Dorothy Masinde, a senior lecturer in horticulture and global resource systems, will present the lecture.

“[Dorothy Masinde] has 30 years inspiring learners of all ages and cultural backgrounds,” according to the event page.

“Examples from a variety of learning situations in both traditional and non-traditional classrooms will be presented,” according to the event page. “Participants in this workshop will work together to discover how to bring real problems into their classrooms for students who want to make a difference in the world.”

On Wednesday there will also be a screening of “Souls of Black Girls” in 198 Parks Library from 6 to 8 p.m.

The film is made by Daphne Valerius, doctoral student at the University of Missouri in their department of communication.

The film is an “award-winning provocative news documentary that raises the question of whether or not women of color may be suffering from a self-image disorder as a result of trying to attain the standards of beauty that are celebrated in media images,” according to the Souls of Black Girls website.

The film features interviews with women speaking about their self-image and commentary from different social activists.

Also on Wednesday, ISU Jazz I will present “the 1917 riot in east St. Louis that started the civil rights movement,” in the Marth-Ellen Tye Recital Hall at 7:30 p.m.

The recital will be led by Jim Bovinette, associate professor. Hollis Monroe will be a guest orator.

“Presented in recognition of Black History Month, this concert will combine live jazz, spoken remarks, and visual presentations,” according to the event page.

On Friday, the Social Justice Summit will take place in the Gold Room of the Memorial Union from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The summit aims at increasing students’ awareness surrounding inclusion issues and developing action plans for being ”agents of change” on campus.

More Black History Month events can be found at here