DPS advises taking holiday precautions

Kati Jividen

Students leaving their personal belongings behind during Christmas break are urged to record serial numbers and take photographs in case of any holiday mishaps, Department of Public Safety officials said.

Personal belongings such as computers, televisions, VCRs, microwaves and jewelry can be easy targets for holiday thieves.

“It’s always a good idea to record serial numbers of valuable items,” said Jerry Stewart, associate director of DPS. “[Also] take photographs of property to include electronics and jewelry. Consideration should be given to removing valuable items especially from ground floor rooms in the residence halls.”

Loras Jaeger, director of DPS, said students should record serial numbers and take photographs in case something is stolen and recovered later.

“If something is really expensive, take it with you or secure it better than having it lay out in the open,” he said. “It’s important [to gather numbers] because this fall we have recovered property, but have been unable to identify the owner because we weren’t given property identification when it was reported stolen.”

Stewart said the residence halls are usually secure during holiday breaks because the Department of Residence retains staffing while students are gone.

However, Stewart said sometimes uncontrollable things, such as fire and water pipe breaks, can occur. These happen not only in the residence halls, but in apartments and fraternities and sororities as well.

“[If living in an apartment,] leave lights on and have trusted neighbors pick up mail,” he said. “Check apartments for any signs of water damage or any other problem.”

Stewart said keeping in touch with roommates is also important at this time of year.

“Communicate with roommates to ensure each knows when and where the other person will be,” he said. “Be sure to know about departure and arrival times, so rooms and apartments are not left unsecured.”

Other hazards to be aware of include overloaded outlets, Stewart said. “Just use your common sense,” he said.

Jaeger said aside from living quarters, students should be prepared to battle cold weather and possible car break downs while traveling home during the holidays.

“We are early into winter weather, and be prepared for that,” he said. “If you’re driving long distances, make sure you have supplies in your car in case you get stranded.”

These things, he said, include blankets, food, water, batteries and a flashlight.

Stewart said those staying in Ames during the break also can do several things to keep residence halls secure.

Ensure that access doors are closed and locked when appropriate, and report any suspicious activity,” he said.