Ramadan stresses compassion

Amy Pint

Muslims in the Ames and ISU communities are fasting this month during an Islamic holiday that renews followers’ spirituality, self-restraint and discipline.

Ramadan, a month-long holiday, is determined by the Islamic lunar calendar and is a time of fasting from food and drink for members of the Islamic faith. The fasting period lasts from daybreak to sunset each day throughout the month.

“The fast is performed to learn discipline, self-restraint and generosity, while obeying God’s commandments,” said Mahmoud Abou-Elneel, vice president of the Muslim Student Association. “Fasting, along with the declaration of faith, daily prayers, charity and a pilgrimage to Mecca, is one of the five beliefs of Islam.”

Abou-Elneel, graduate student in business administration, said because Ramadan is a lunar month, it begins about 11 days earlier each year. The holiday began on Nov. 27 this year.

“The end of Ramadan is marked by communal prayers called ‘Eid ul-Fitr,’ or Feast of the Fast-Breaking,” he said. “Because the beginning of Islamic lunar months depends on the sighting of the new moon, the start and end dates for the Ramadan vary.”

Abou-Elneel said there are many benefits in the fasting period.

“One of the main benefits of Ramadan is the increased compassion for those in need of the necessities of life, a sense of self-purification and a renewed focus on spirituality,” he said. “Muslims also appreciate the feeling of togetherness shared by the family and friends throughout the month. Perhaps the greatest practical benefit is the yearly lesson in self-restraint and discipline that can carry forward to work and education.”

Because of the long period of fasting each day, Abou-Elneel said it is not required of everyone. Criteria for fasting include being mentally and physically fit, past the age of puberty, not traveling and confident that fasting will not be detrimental to the physical or mental health of the individual.

While it may be easier to fast because of the cooler American climate, Abou-Elneel said there are many other temptations.

“In Muslim countries, most people are observing the fast, so there are fewer temptations such as luncheon meetings, daytime celebrations and offers of food from friends,” he said.

Abou-Elneel said Muslim students and members of the Ames community will be breaking the fast each day with a dinner at 4:45 p.m. in the Mosque at 1221 Michigan Ave.

Muslim Student Association President Raza Ul-Mustafa said everyone is invited to participate in the daily dinner with members of the Islamic community and the prayers that follow each day at 6:30 p.m. in the Mosque, and each Friday at 1:15 p.m. in the Memorial Union.

“At sunset, people break their fast by drinking juice or eating dates or any other edible thing,” he said. “After that they pray their evening prayer and then have the dinner.”

Ul-Mustafa, graduate student in electrical and computer engineering, said many American Muslims would prefer a daytime work shift during Ramadan so that they may break the fast with their families and attend evening prayers. He said an informational booth will be available for students interested in learning more about Ramadan and the Muslim religion on Dec. 1 on the ground floor of the Memorial Union.