Circle K to sponsor car bash

Katie Boes

Two sledgehammers and a car painted in Corn Husker red and black will be the key ingredients this Saturday at the Circle K International Club Car Bash.

The car bash will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. the day of the Iowa State-Nebraska football game. The car will be located in the hash marks on the road between the Campanile and the Memorial Union.

“I’m really thinking it will be a success,” said Aaron Poock, public relations and marketing chair for the club. He said the Family Weekend crowds and the Nebraska game will draw in even more numbers.

“If we win, it will be a chance to celebrate, and if we lose – not like that will happen – it will be a way for people to let out their frustrations,” said Poock, senior in marketing.

He said the club has two major objectives for this event.

The first goal, he said, is to get the word out about the organization and let the community know “we are here to serve them.” Poock said Circle K is a philanthropic club with a focus in campus and community service and has been chartered at Iowa State for less than a year. The car bash will be their first campus-wide event.

“If this goes well and is the success that we plan, we hope to make it an annual thing and build on it from year to year,” he said.

He said the second goal is to raise money for the club’s national philanthropy, Iodine Deficiency Disorder, a disease found in third-world countries due to a dietary lack of salt.

“Our group aims to help people in other countries who are not as well off as ourselves,” Poock said.

Circle K President Stephanie Voyles said a $1 donation will give each participant two chances to hit the car with a sledgehammer.

“Every nickel will save one small child’s life,” she said.

Voyles, junior in zoology, said 75 percent of the group’s profits from Saturday’s event will go to their philanthropy, and 25 percent will go back to the club. Poock said his personal goal is to raise $600.

Poock said the event is being sponsored by Carney’s Auto Salvage, 1010 S. Duff, and Butch’s Amoco, Lincoln Way and Duff, who donated the car and the towing devices.

“Hopefully together with the community we will make a large impact on this problem and be able to help many,” he said.

“I think we should attract a wide variety of people,” he said. “Dorm residents and greek members should be drawn to the campus with their parents coming for the weekend.”

Jamie Weeden, fund raising chairperson, said the only problem she foresees is the distance from the stadium, but she still is positive about the potential turnout.

“Every little bit counts,” said Weeden, sophomore in early childhood education. “Whatever we can do to help out would be great.”