Letter to the editor: Resentful noise

Matthew Emerson

For a publication that sings the mantra of tolerance for people of varying cultures, backgrounds and points of view, I see a large disregard for objectivity in the treatment of some of the best student organizations in the nation.

I find it very disappointing that you would condone stereotypes and generalizations of greeks as swanky drunkards and thieves let alone encourage staff members to perpetuate such banal garbage.

Contrary to popular belief, fraternities and sororities are INCLUSIVE. It is the lifeblood of our existence.

Since my arrival at Iowa State in 1992, the numbers of students rushing have plummeted, and much of this has to do with anti-greek sentiment rekindled every year by publications such as yours.

It has become increasingly more difficult to reach young people and their parents about the many positive aspects of our organizations because they are bombarded with resentful, hate-filled and overblown generalizations. We spend a great deal of time deprogramming preconceptions in freshman and parents so they can make informed decisions about whether greek life is right for them.

The problems that face greeks face the student body. Our issues are not indicative of our character but the state of student life as a whole.

My fraternity helped me, my brother, father and close friends grow and make friends that will last a life time. It is perhaps my most treasured association and an experience I am more than eager to share, but it has become a hard message to share over so much resentful noise.

Matthew Emerson

Alumnus

Ames

Assistant alumnus adviser

Kappa Sigma