Campbell racking up yardage and attention

Jordan Gizzarelli

He has been listed as the No. one flanker on ISU’s depth chart since August.

He makes up the third part of one of the Big 12’s best receiving corps.

He had a break-out three catches-for-119-yards performance against Nebraska, including a game-breaking 53-yard touchdown to put Iowa State up 7-0 in the first quarter.

He wears No. 19 in tribute to his favorite player, Keyshawn Johnson.

Craig Campbell is his name and he has been racking up yards, and attention for the 4-1 Cyclones.

Campbell hails from Santa Fe, Calif., where he was a two-sport star in football and baseball, a standout student, and an active member of his community.

While attending Santa Fe High School, Campbell was a three-year letterwinner in baseball and a two-year starter in football.

He earned first-team all-league honors in baseball and was all-everything in football his senior season.

Coming off an junior-year football season that was cut short by injury, Campbell emerged as a senior to lead his team to a 10-2 record and a berth in the state semi-finals.

He played both ways (cornerback on defense) and compiled an incredible 19 touchdowns on 45 catches for 1,027 yards.

He was honored by his conference as “Offensive Player of the Year”, earned first-team all-CIF honors, and was named the all-Southeast/Southcoast and all-area as a wide-receiver by the Los Angeles Times.

But more impressive than all these honors was Campbell’s reception of the National Football Foundation’s Scholar Athlete of the Year Award.

Campbell said, “It was for all around contributing to the community, grades. I had a 3.98 GPA and also for on-the-field stuff. There was a big banquet, and my head coach and my family were there, and Keyshawn Johnson talked at it.”

Following his stellar prep career, Campbell attended Mt. San Antonio Junior College in Walnut, Calif., where he “grey-shirted” for his first year, before earning the starting spot at wide-receiver the next season.

As a freshmen (second season) Campbell caught 35 balls for 500 yards and 6 touchdowns en route to earning first-team all-Mission Conference recognition and scholarship offers from San Jose State, Alabama-Birmingham, Hawaii and Iowa State. Campbell accepted Iowa State’s offer to football and said he hasn’t regretted it one bit.

“I just decided to take what I felt was the best opportunity. I wanted to be at a big-time college and play in a big-time conference, and it doesn’t get any bigger than the Big 12,” Campbell said.

Upon his arrival at Iowa State, Campbell played sparingly, yet saw the field in eight games as a sophomore. This season he has arrived to fill the void left by Damien Groce.

Campbell’s touchdown re-ception against Nebraska was his first, and he feels that he and quarterback Sage Rosenfels are beginning to work quite well together.

“We throw the ball a lot. We work on it everyday. He makes great reads and great throws. We just have to keep making plays for him,” he said.

As for the rest of the season, Campbell said that he and his teammates “are here to win games, not just compete.”

“This week [against Oklahoma State] we’ll get to see a lot about the Iowa State Cyclones and what kind of character we do have. And we’ll be able to bounce back and we’ll go out there and compete this Saturday,” Campbell said.

Cyclone fans haven’t seen it all just yet from Craig Campbell either.

“I’m sure there’s more to come. I think this team is going to have a lot of success, and I’m just glad to be here,” Campbell said.