Gift establishes ag endowment

Jacqui Becker

The Iowa Pork Producers announced a gift of $100,000 to Iowa State Monday to establish the Lauren Christian Swine Education Endowment.

Leaders in Iowa agricultural associations, Iowa Pork Producer Association members, the Board of Regents, university administrators and family members of Christian attended the ceremony at the Des Moines Club Monday.

The gift will promote swine research through fellowships, grants, scholarships and program enhancements beginning in the next year and a half, said College of Agriculture Dean Richard Ross.

“It was established a year ago to honor the distinguished professor Lauren Christian in his career in swine genetics who helped individuals worldwide to improve pork production,” he said. Christian, who died in 1998, worked on the ISU campus from 1966 until 1995.

Lauren Christian’s brother, Allen Christian, ag specialist in animal science, said this donation makes his family feel “very proud” about his brother’s contributions to the swine industry.

“The family feels proud and honored that they’ve established this fund, and the gigantic contribution from the [Iowa] Pork Producers is very moving,” he said. “It is a great honor for my brother to be recognized by the Iowa Pork Producers and the pork industry in general.”

Nelda Christian, Lauren’s wife, said her husband was a humble man.

“He would say that he wouldn’t deserve [this honor],” she said. “He just always thought a lot of others.”

Christian’s love for swine and students was always a top priority, Nelda said.

Whether it be talking to a farmer about his pigs or working with a youth showing his first pig — Lauren was “always talking pigs,” she said.

Lauren had three loves, she said. “First is family; then are pigs, any pigs, not just his pigs; and students. He was always teaching people and always asking advice,” Nelda said.

Ross said Lauren brought an enthusiasm to the industry by creating knowledge-based individuals in his students.

“His commitment helped motivate, enthuse and prepare students to help the pork industry,” he said.

Allen said he wishes there were more Lauren Christians in the industry.

“He was such a great teacher,” he said. “He was an intelligent and patient person that could bring himself to any level and communicate.”

The contribution from the Iowa Pork Producers is just a kickoff for the future of the endowment fund, Nelda said, as more donors continue to add to the fund.

“The $100,000 from them is tremendous, and it is quite a benevolence in his memory,” she said.