Career Day organizers look forward to large turnout

Jacqui Becker

About 150 agriculture organizations and corporations will be on campus today to collaborate for one of the largest agriculture job fairs in the nation.

Mike Gaul, director of career services for the College of Agriculture, said he hopes to see at least 1,300 people attend today’s career fair from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Almost 3,000 students are enrolled in the College of Agriculture.

“We had 1,300 last year, and I’d be disappointed if we don’t get that number again,” he said.

The Agriculture Business Club has been working with the career services office to organize the event.

Erin Cumings, co-coordinator of Agriculture Career Day, said the club and the career services office have done a lot of presentations to the Agriculture 110 classes to increase awareness of the event.

“We’ve also provided information to clubs so they know what’s going on,” said Cumings, junior in agricultural business.

Gaul said many agriculture students have prepared online resumes with the new registering service in the college. He said in a matter of 30 minutes, 150 students were trying to get on the Web page to check out the employers coming or to update their resumes.

“This is the event. They know when it’s coming up, and they want to have at it,” he said. “You just can’t win if you don’t play.”

Gaul said employers are seeking not only full-time employees but also students to fill summer positions and internships.

“Since I’ve been here [for two years] this is the best we’ve got in terms of diversity of big companies and small companies, and there is something for every major,” he said.

David Williams, professor of education administration, requires his undergraduate Agriculture Education and Studies 310 class to attend the career day as an introduction to the human resources in his course’s agricultural business unit.

“It is great to show the teamwork, partnerships and development of agribusiness people,” he said. The day is also a way for students to visit with people who are currently employed in agricultural careers, Williams said.

Even if individuals aren’t interested in getting an internship or job, Cumings encourages everyone to talk to the business representatives.

“It is a great way to network and learn about jobs out there,” said Cumings, who is the vice president of the Ag Business Club.

Williams said students need to be confident when approaching businesses. He said students should come prepared with a portfolio and a resume.

“Don’t hesitate to walk up and introduce yourself. Ask questions about what the organization does, and always be prepared to talk about yourself,” he said.

Gaul recommends finding out “what’s out there” in the field and to get as much information about careers as possible by talking to a lot of companies.

“There is an unbelievable number of organizations supporting this activity,” Williams said. “It gives [students] an opportunity to see what type of organizations are interested in the College of Agriculture graduates.”

Programs will be available at the door explaining what each company is looking for and the location and names of the employees at each booth.