Ames police wants pledge; DPS doesn’t

Heather Harper

Law enforcement officials have mixed feelings on Interim ISU President Richard Seagrave’s decision to lift the alcohol-free Veishea pledge this year.

Former President Martin Jischke required for the past three years that the five student-government groups sign a pledge promising that ISU students would abstain from drinking alcohol during the student celebration. The requirement came after the death of Harold “Uri” Sellers during the 1997 Veishea celebration.

Seagrave lifted the pledge late last week in an effort to save the 79-year-old tradition.

“We felt Veishea went particularly well in the past three years, and any alteration could result in a change that would not necessarily be good,” said Sgt. Mike Johns of the Ames Police Department.

Johns said Ames police will prepare for Veishea the same ways it has in years past. He said his department could be busier this year with Veishea.

“We hope the students will act responsibly,” he said. “The more alcohol that’s involved, typically the busier we are.”

Loras Jaeger, director of the Department of Public Safety, said he does not anticipate more problems without the pledge.

“I expect a safe and very good Veishea 2001,” he said. “It has been my experience this fall that there has been a good relationship between DPS and students.”

Jaeger said there has been a push to try to relax some of Veishea’s rules, and Seagrave’s decision to lift the pledge is a step in the right direction.

“I think President Seagrave is saying that he is putting trust in students of Iowa State,” he said. “We have mature students here who will abide by his request.”

Jaeger said he agrees with Seagrave’s decision and believes it will strengthen the relationship between students and administration.

“I’m very supportive,” he said. “I thought it was an excellent move on the part of President Seagrave.”

Jaeger said DPS hasn’t decided on staffing for Veishea weekend. DPS will have its first meeting on the subject Nov. 1.

“We have for several years run maximum staffing where we work people 12 to 18 hours a day for a three-day period,” he said. “We will access that to see if we can cut back.”

Cpt. Gary Foster of the Story County Sheriff’s Office said he hopes the students will celebrate Veishea responsibly.

“We have seen a trend toward a calm, more responsible Veishea, and we hope that continues this year,” he said. “The students should be able to do that without the alcohol-free pledge.”

Foster said that in past years, his department has provided additional personnel for DPS and Ames police and plans to do so again this year.

“Veishea should be a celebration of learning,” he said. “The emphasis should not be placed on alcohol.”