SAA to sponsor annual tailgate

Katie Robb

The Student Alumni Association will hold the annual Family Weekend pre-game tailgate before the Nebraska game tomorrow.

The event will be held in the courtyard south of the Scheman Building.

The picnic will begin at noon, two-and-a-half hours before kickoff, said Scott Raymond, graduate adviser of the Student Alumni Leadership Council.

It will be followed by a program at 1 p.m. that recognizes families who have been named “Family of the Year” at previous picnics. They will be inducted into the Family of the Year Society.

Traditionally, one ISU family is selected each year and is named “Family of the Year” during Family Weekend. There will be no “Family of the Year” this year because of the induction.

“We will serve traditional tailgate food: burgers, coleslaw, fruit salad and dessert,” Raymond said. “It’s aimed at students and their families who are here for Family Weekend, but anyone is welcome.”

Registration ended last week because the event includes food, Raymond said. They will not be able to accommodate walk-ins.

“The tailgate is always a lot of fun. We encourage everyone to pre-register and join us,” said Andrea Wonderlich, member of the Student Alumni Leadership Council.

About 465 people pre-registered for the event early this week. Raymond said he expects that number to reach nearly 500 by Saturday.

“The poms, Cy, and the ISU marching band will be at the picnic to encourage spirit,” he added. “We’ll also have Cy tattoos and face painting to help get everybody get excited for the game.”