Non-tenure faculty organize to address rights

Anna Holland

Non-tenure faculty members at Iowa State are meeting this week to voice their concerns about their temporary positions. Committee G, a group of ISU non-tenure faculty, will be holding an informal meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Gallery of the Memorial Union. The group was named and sanctioned by the American Association of University Professors for the state of Iowa. Committee Co-Chair Suzanne Guess said the meeting will address four issues: job security, academic freedom, professional development and representation. She said the committee would like all temporary faculty to participate in the meeting. Guess, former ISU temporary instructor of English, said more than 400 members of the ISU faculty have temporary positions. She added that none of the campus committees have non-tenure members. “We’ve been hoping to get the administration to take notice [of the temporary faculty] for two years,” Guess said. “We’ve repeatedly asked to have representation on committees, but they will not allow it. They’re engaging in discussion to prepare for decisions without our input.” She said the committee arranged the meeting to “get everyone together and get their endorsement to act and negotiate on their behalf.” Guess said the committee would take the ideas and concerns of the temporary faculty and decide on an appropriate course of action. Committee member Frank Hummer said the meeting is a way to “level the playing field.” “Other groups within education, [such as] administration, faculty and students, have organized representation that the temporary faculty don’t without Committee G,” said Hummer, temporary assistant professor of mathematics. Wednesday’s meeting is a way to “get our perspective into the mix for decision making,” said Committee G Co-Chair John Pleasants. Both Guess and Hummer stressed the importance of Wednesday’s meeting. “If temporary faculty as a whole participate in the meeting, then it will make a big difference,” Hummer said. “The temporary faculty will demonstrate themselves as a group that cannot be left out of the picture.” Pleasants, temporary assistant professor of zoology and genetics, said he hopes to see a large turnout. He said the committee does not want to assume anything when it comes to the concerns of the non-tenure faculty. “I think we as a committee are prepared to go ahead and meet with different committees on campus,” Pleasants said. “Rather than the four of us, we’d really like to hear from the huge group.”