Chacon brings Hispanic awareness

Anna Holland

Through a mixture of humor and literature, Hispanic author Daniel Chac¢n will be bringing an understanding of different cultures to Iowa State today. Chac¢n will conclude his two-day visit to Iowa State with a reading from his collection of short stories, “Chicano Chicanery and Other Stories,” at 8 p.m. in the Sun Room of Memorial Union. Chac¢n’s visit is part of Iowa State’s celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. The author spoke Wednesday night to ISU students and faculty about fiction writing and the role of Chicanos in modern literature. “His name is everywhere these days,” said Evelina Galang, assistant professor of English. “I think he’s emerging as an important voice.” Galang said Chac¢n has a style that appeals to everyone, especially young people, since his writing is full of humor. “He says he likes to tell a good story,” she said. Galang also said Chacon’s work is “empowering.” “It’s difficult for people of color to talk about their experiences in an open way,” she said. “It’s a scary thing to talk about one-on-one.” Galang said reading and discussing Chac¢n’s work “can become an opening dialogue for discussion.” Galang said attending tonight’s reading is important for students of all races, not just Latinos. “Hispanic Heritage Month is an important event, even though we don’t see a large majority of Latino students on campus,” she said. “It gives us an opportunity as a university to hear a perspective we aren’t familiar with.” Patricia Miller, program coordinator for lectures, said the reading is an opportunity for ISU students to learn more about different ways of life. “We look forward every year to the Hispanic Heritage month celebration because it gives ISU students a chance to learn about another important culture,” she said. Galang said Chac¢n’s sense of humor appeals to people of every color, which makes learning about the Latino culture fun. “He really cares about community [and] students,” she said. Chac¢n teaches creative writing at University of Texas, El Paso. “Chicano Chicanery” is his first book, but his stories have been in The New England Review, ZYZZYVA, The Bilingual Review, The American Review and River’s Edge. He is currently working on a novel and a second collection of short stories.