FCS department seeks new name

Anna Conover

A department in the College of Family and Consumer Sciences is searching for a name after three departments merged into one. The Textiles and Clothing Department, the Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management Department and the Education and Studies Department merged in July. The department is now looking for student input to give itself a new name. On any of the three departments’ Web sites, students can vote online for one of the six possible new names. The names are various combinations of apparel, hospitality management and education. Along with the naming process, the department is also trying to maintain its identity. “The issue everyone worries about is the loss of identity. Again, it’s going to depend on a name,” said Carol Meeks, dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. “We’ve kept the new undergraduate programs, but if you have a new name, are people going to realize that?” The merger, which affects more than 450 students, was the result of budget cuts totaling $256,000. The cuts were from academic budget cuts, less extension and experimental station funding. The new department’s chairwoman is Mary Gregoire, professor of hotel, restaurant and institution management. Previously, she was the chairwoman of the Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management Department. Gregoire said the cuts had an effect on the overall setup of the departments, but all the current programs will still be offered to undergraduate and graduate students. Gregoire said the department will also gain administrative efficiencies. “We’re exploring as a new unit the things we want to do and what we want to do in the future,” she said. Gregoire said change always occurs, and the department will move forward in the future. “It’s been very positive. People have really looked at the opportunities and how to create synergy to put the departments together,” Gregoire said. “We look at it as an opportunity and how to make the most of the new set of circumstances.” To inform students of the merger, letters were distributed the first day of classes. Gregoire said students haven’t voiced many concerns about the changes. “Students’ greatest concern is, `If my program is still here,'” she said. Meeks said another reason for the merger was a vacant chair position in the Textiles and Clothing Department. When a potential chair turned down the position, the college decided it was time to combine the departments. Yvonne Gentzler, the previous chair of the Education and Studies Department, is still responsible for that part of the program, but she doesn’t have all the administrative duties she had before, Meeks said. “She’ll be involved in the leadership program aspects and to the active student groups in the department,” Meeks said. Vote for the name online at the College of FCS Website