Study abroad deadlines approach

Anna Holland

ISU students looking for a chance to get away and learn at the same time have that opportunity through the ISU Study Abroad Program. Genevieve Johnson, sophomore in English, spent three weeks of her summer break in Germany and the Czech Republic visiting high schools and learning how English is taught as a second language. “It was great being able to have the hands-on experience that we did,” Johnson said. “It was neat to see how quickly [the high school students] pick up language. It was a new idea for me to see my language being taught as a second language.” Johnson went on the trip as part of a three-credit course offered to ISU students and she said it will be her first of many experiences studying abroad. Michelle Szabo, senior program coordinator for the ISU Study Abroad Program, said Iowa State offers study abroad programs in over 230 locations on every continent, including Antarctica. Last year, 968 ISU students spent some time abroad, up from 312 students three years ago. “Many students found study abroad to be the best part of their college experience,” Szabo said. Application deadlines for the spring semester are approaching quickly, Szabo said. She said the most popular programs are the Iowa Board of Regents’ Semesters Abroad. Students from Iowa State, University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa spend one semester in either Swansea, Wales or Newcastle, Australia, Szabo said. She said the ISU students stay in dorms with local students and earn credits toward their degree. Deadlines for the Board of Regents’ program applications for semesters in Wales and Australia are due by Oct. 15. Szabo said all program credits from regent- and university-sponsored programs apply to the student’s degree. If students decide to do a program not directly coordinated through the university, Szabo said, not all of the credits may transfer. “Students need to plan carefully to make sure that those classes transfer to their degree program,” Szabo said. Szabo said reasons for studying abroad are better than ever. “Employers in Iowa are looking for international experience and foreign languages,” she said. “They’re hiring students right out of college.” Szabo said the university is also involved in getting more students to study abroad. “Iowa State is committed to students having international opportunities,” she said. “Credit transfer and financial aid opportunities make it a lot easier for students to study abroad.” The Study Abroad Center distributes over $67,000 a year in scholarships, Szabo said. Additionally, the university adds $600,000 for programs that offer ISU credit. Most of the aid students already have can be applied to the cost as well. “Don’t be afraid of the cost,” Johnson said. “Take the risk. Now is the perfect time to go.” For students debating which program to try, the Study Abroad Center offers general information sessions from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Johnson said the study abroad experience has been priceless and that she plans on participating in another program soon. “It’s like a virus,” she said. “You get hooked on it.”