More statue-vandalizing shenanigans

Quincy Jones, sophomore in construction engineering, was arrested by DPS for taking part in the vandalism of Christian Petersen’s “Ring of Life” sculpture. It is hard enough to believe one deviant could have taken part in this vandalism, but to find out that two may have been involved is even more surprising. While the courts will have to sort out who did what and when, we at the Daily can only continue to express our dismay publicly at this grotesque violation of our campus’ art. The members of Theta Xi must be as surprised as the rest of our campus that two of its members have shamed them as well as the rest of our campus. While the actions of two alleged criminals should not reflect poorly on the entire greek community, any community that identifies itself as a community when accepting honors and glories for the good they do must ultimately accept a certain responsibility for the harm its members cause. We are all expected to be thankful to the greek community for taking charge of Veishea committees that ensure we all have fun every year. The Daily is always sure to give a great big word of thanks to the greeks when they organize the blood drives every semester. But we reserve the right to hand out the occasional admonishment when it is deserved. Fraternities have more than a little social control over their members, and anyone who doubts this is probably doing public relations for the greeks. While Theta Xi is not legally responsible as an organization for the vandalism, if the courts determine that two of its members are responsible, it couldn’t hurt for them to voluntarily take it upon themselves to organize a little remuneration. Maybe some kind of marathon trampoline jumping contest to collect money could be organized. If it were, the Daily would be sure to give credit where it’s due. Editorial Board: Carrie Tett, Greg Jerrett, Katie Goldsmith, Amie Van Overmeer and Andrea Hauser