Kellogg becomes distance director

Abbie Moeller

The College of Engineering is welcoming a new administrator who is focused on increasing the quality and convenience of ISU’s engineering program. Rebecca Kellogg began as the distance education director this fall after her contract as adjunct assistant professor of aerospace engineering ended. “I wanted to continue to make contributions to Iowa State and stay involved in higher education,” she said. Kellogg said her interest in teaching and interaction with students also encouraged her to take this position, but she is not the only one in the program with an interest in higher education. “[The Engineering Distance Education Program] gives engineers working in industry a chance to earn master’s degrees,” said Edwin C. Jones, former director of the program. Kellogg said changing technology and continuing education are becoming more important, and programs like distance education make it easier for engineers to earn advanced degrees without sacrificing careers, locations or families. “We’re trying to provide a service for people who can’t be traditional students on campus,” Kellogg said. “We provide a quality engineering education in a more convenient manner.” The program also provides faculty with industry contacts, helping to keep participants up-to-date on industrial advances, said Jones, university professor of electrical and computer engineering. “Good faculty always learn from students,” he said. Kristy Goodale, Distance Education Program secretary, said 15 ISU professors are currently teaching 301 off-campus students through the program, and the numbers are increasing. The number of degrees earned is rising with about 10 to 15 awarded each year, Jones said, and students across the country are participating in the program. “The future is a more flexible environment for providing both for-credit and noncredit distance education,” Kellogg said.