ISU mixed over president’s departure

Sara Tennessen

ISU students, faculty and staff say they see both benefits and letdowns in ISU President Martin Jischke’s departure to Purdue University, but all express hope for the future. “At first I was a bit taken aback,” said Tom Becker, coordinator of High Ability Student Recruitment. “It is a great opportunity for the university to sort of evaluate. This will be the start of a renewal.” Liz Beck, coordinator of the Iowa State Honors Program, said several positive things Jischke did at Iowa State were the President’s Leadership Class and the Hixon Scholars Program, which provides full tuition for 100 ISU freshmen based on financial need. “My experience with Dr. Jischke was that he did care about undergraduate students,” Beck said. “I can see the improvements he made on this campus.” Andy Walling, president of the Richardson Court Association, said he is looking forward to a different leadership style. “We’ll obviously miss [Jischke’s fund-raising abilities], but I think this gives us a wonderful opportunity,” said Walling, sophomore in computer engineering. “I’m excited to work closely with the new president.” Some students and faculty expressed concern over Jischke’s actions during his presidency and relief at the change in leadership to Interim President Richard Seagrave. “I’m glad he’s gone. Obviously the university made money, but we don’t know what happened to it and they still raised tuition, room and board this year,” said Geoff Janes, senior in computer science. “I think we’ll be better off without him.” Some students were not saddened to see Jischke leave because of their perceptions of Jischke’s goals at Iowa State. “He was more focused on making the university profit rather than serving its primary purpose of teaching,” said Jacob Laack, senior in computer science. Some students, on the other hand, said they feel the change in leadership at Iowa State has little effect on them. “It has absolutely no impact on me personally,” said Greta Bluml, freshman in meteorology. “I don’t know how we really interact with the president, but we’re just freshmen. We met [Seagrave] at New Student Days, and he seemed pretty enthused.” Justin Boege, sophomore in exercise and sport science, said things will be different, “but we’ll still have to pay a lot of money to Iowa State.”