Alcohol charges against minors up over weekend

Kati Jividen

Several underage students learned their first college lesson this weekend even before stepping into the classroom. The lesson was given out in the form of a citation or a ticket for underage possession of alcohol – a ticket that can cost students as much as $200. “At this time of year, we tend to see more use and abuse of alcohol,” said Loras Jaeger, director public safety. “The weather is warm and school is starting so there isn’t a lot of assignments . it’s not unusual to see a bit more partying this time of year.” DPS issued 13 citations this weekend, mostly on Friday night, for underage possession. Five tickets were given to 18-year-olds; seven to 19-year-olds; and one to a 20-year-old, Jaeger said. The number of arrests decreased Saturday night because DPS officers were busy with an assault on Welch Avenue, Jaeger said. “Officers issue citations based on availability,” he said. “The best advice is if you’re not 21 years old – don’t drink.” Jaeger said his officers are placing more emphasis on patrolling parking lots to cut down on thefts. Many students choose the parking lots as a place to socialize and drink. “Part of our routine is to be observant,” he said. “We’ll respond to calls and be observant to what’s going on.” Jaeger, along with Sgt. Mike Johns of the Ames Police Department, said they are not targeting the back-to-school parties. “To be honest, we don’t target anything,” Johns said. “Most of the time we’re called to parties because of the noise and once we’re there, we’re obligated to deal with the situation as it occurs.” The Ames Police Department issued six citations to minors this weekend. He said students are typically cited while walking down the street carrying alcohol or when they’re called to a party for a noise violation. “If you drink underage, there’s a good likelihood that you’re going to be cited for possession in Ames,” Johns said. “We’ve historically told people that you increase your odds by taking it from one place to another.” “To the best of our knowledge, no one has died of thirst from walking from one place to another,” he said.