Student officer charged in theft

Kati Jividen

Anthony Bateza was surprised this weekend to discover a Department of Public Safety student officer had been caught allegedly trying to steal his bicycle earlier this month. “I thought it was still there,” said Bateza, senior in zoology, about his bike that was parked outside the Food Sciences Building. “I went to look for it after receiving [a] message this weekend, and it wasn’t there.” Travis Harwood, senior in history, was arrested and charged with theft about 3 a.m. Aug. 8 after a DPS supervisor caught him drilling into the U-lock on Bateza’s $700 specialized mountain bike. Harwood, who was a walking student officer patrolling campus after hours, was suspended from his position. He has since left the department and declined to comment on the situation. “We put a lot of responsibility on students and hold them to the same standards as the full-time employees,” DPS Director Loras Jaeger said. “People expect those working in a law-enforcement agency to be ethical, truthful and law-abiding.” Bateza parked his bike outside the Food Sciences Building after his summer-school classes ended. He wanted to leave it in a safe location while he moved into Hawthorn Court. After receiving the message about the possible theft of his bike, Bateza contacted DPS officers who filled him in on the situation. “DPS officers tried to call me [earlier about the bike], but the phones at Hawthorn were not up,” Bateza said. The bike, which is registered with the university, was not damaged. Bateza said DPS officers are holding his bicycle as evidence for a possible trial for Harwood. DPS could hold the bike for at least a couple of months, Bateza said. “I’m kind of surprised,” he said about the thought of a student officer trying to steal a bike. “Usually the public safety student officers aren’t out stealing things. I’m just happy he didn’t actually steal it.” Jaeger said he doesn’t believe Harwood is connected to any other bicycle thefts around campus. “We have well over 100 students who work with DPS and overwhelmingly they are honest and dedicated,” Jaeger said. “We certainly couldn’t do our job without their assistance. “This will happen on occasion, and we will address it, but it doesn’t affect our decision of hiring students,” he added. Bateza said he will no longer leave his bicycle locked on campus overnight. “I’m keeping it in my bedroom,” he joked.