New Student Days 2000

Anna Conover

Fewer freshmen will be walking around with maps and confused faces this year thanks to New Student Days 2000. Over 2,500 incoming students and 212 student leaders spent Thursday through Sunday becoming more familiar with Iowa State and the campus. Liz Kurt, New Students Days coordinator, said the program is an extension of orientation that provides hands-on training with Project Vincent, AccessPlus and ISUCards. “At orientation we don’t show how to do things, we just tell them about it,” Kurt said. “We show students how to use their ISUCards for laundry. They’re also meeting people and immediately building a network.” David Bousquet, assistant vice president for enrollment, said the program also helps new students get adjusted. “It helps start school out on the right foot,” he said. “You get to know additional people plus the friends that came with you from back home. It makes Iowa State seem like a small place.” Hilary Becker, freshman in computer engineering, agreed with Bousquet. “It’s nice to meet a group of friends and to have extra people and faces to bump into on campus,” she said. Besides the 10 or 12 students assigned to a particular group, students had an opportunity to mix with other freshmen. Some of the group activities included bowling, ballroom dancing and an ice cream social. “They came together and looked around and knew everyone was in the same boat,” Bousquet said. “I think it’s incredibly helpful.” Kurt said the program, which began last year, was even more successful this year because of an increase in student participation. However, as the weekend progressed, many of the groups got smaller. Kurt said personal and family problems along with students thinking they don’t need the programs are two reasons why students skipped. New Student Days leader Mark Zeige, sophomore in Spanish and business, had one freshman left in his group on Saturday. “There are a lot of students who want to do their own thing and don’t want to do all the programs,” he said. Becker said there were a lot of programs and information. “I’m meeting lots of people, but I got kind of tired from all the walking,” she said. “I’ll eventually find out where everything is, but right now it’s kind of information overload.” Tate Huizer, freshman in industrial technology, skipped Saturday because of the length of Friday’s activities. “They were telling you the same thing over and over,” he said. Despite the numerous activities, most agreed it was a useful program. “It’s been helpful, and I paid 40 bucks for it so I’m going to get my money’s worth,” said Nick Einwalter, freshman in engineering. “Plus I figured out e-mail, which I wouldn’t have if my leader didn’t show me.”